Guest cancels AFTER sleeping a night.

Guest cancels AFTER sleeping a night.

Beware a guest who has been on Airbnb site for seven years, no reviews no trips…

One guest spent one night, and cancelled the next morning on checkout day!

Why does Airbnb allow that, makes me suspect she does this a lot.

She got all her money back (airbnbs decision, not mine), left a one star review, (resulting in my listing being suspended for a week, and loss of super host status).

No communication after she arrived, though polite with initial messages. 

5 Replies 5
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Stefania1081 👋

I'm so sorry to read about your recent guest experience. It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution to your question? 

It'd be great to hear from you, so we can understand whats happened since but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

No change since, she got all her $ back, a free place to stay, her review of the place stayed on my listing, I’m still off the superhost list, a number of people have stayed once I was allowed to re list, left 5 star reviews. 

No answer from Airbnb rep except “they are allowed to do that.” I did look into this in more detail, guest can check in, then cancel, but BEFORE spending the night, if I understand correctly.

Karen4309
Level 2
Wellesley Island, NY

My heart breaks hearing this awful story.  I talked to a friend of mine just yesterday who had a similar experience.  She said AirBNB was very helpful to her.  My experience with AirBNB has been more like yours.  Hosts are required to provide piles of documentation, whereas guests who have been flagged by hosts as "bad guests" suffer NO consequences.  

AirBNB would be wise to add a credible and intelligent support that can communicate clearly to its team to support hosts with these soul-crushing episodes.  

I hope you do not have any future disasters like the one you described.  Very discouraging and costly, time and money.

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I read her review (and your reply to her review). 

Zheng49_0-1721825119838.png

Honestly, the A/C not working is a bit of a problem, and I would see if in the future such issues can be mitigated. 

If you could've caught this issue beforehand, feels like she would've stayed.

I don't think this review is too far off the mark tbh, as A/C IS a big deal on a hot summer day. 

If you allowed a full refund for this incident, which I would've done for sure, then the 1* review, the listing issue, and the suspension could've been avoided. Definitely full refund for cases such as this, especially since the guest didn't stay the night!

The reason why Airbnb allows this (full refund for this case) is because, the A/C not working during a hot summer day IS a very big issue, and is grounds for a listing issue, which I'm guessing you got. I would pay very close attention to listing issues, as the next time you get an A/C related listing issue, you would be suspended for a month.