Guest damage

Sophie2600
Level 2
Cooma, Australia

Guest damage

Hi,

I had some young travellers staying at my place.

This is a shared space, I live in the house also and share kitchen and bathroom and living space. Guests have their own lockable room. Everything is always neat and tidy, and I use quality towels and sheets.  

I was at work when guests arrived and they access the home easily. They cooked sausages and hamburgers in a frying pan and the oil and fat got too hot. 

instead of pulling the frying pan off and putting on the sink, or another part of stove top. They placed the frying pan on the floor. This is a cork tile floor. They said they panicked and didn’t know what to do and put the frying pan on the floor. 

when I got home at 10pm I noticed the round burn mark on the floor!! 
the coke tiles have a round burn mark from the frying pan.  The floor will need to be sanded and reoiled. 

they are young travellers and I am not sure how to proceed.  It has ruined my floor.   I can only cover with a mat.
Advice appreciated.

thanks sophie

Australia

1 Reply 1

@Sophie2600 

Sorry about the pan mark on the floor...I'd cover it with a mat, and fix it when I do the rest of the place. Thank goodness these sincere young people averted something more serious such as a grease fire. I guess that your kitchen and theirs are quite different and they followed their instincts in a bit of a panic situation. I'll bet they feel sad and perhaps embarrassed about the damage!