Guest did not stay but gave negative reciew

Answered!
Joel1
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Guest did not stay but gave negative reciew

I have hosted 300 times roughly, with 200 reviews.

I now have a bad review from someone who did not stay.

Here is what happened.

A guest booked a single night. The checkin was the next day at 1pm. At 3pm I called the guest to ask them if they are coming.

They said they woke up with a fever and have cancelled the trip. I said I was sorry to hear that and hope they get better soon. And to please leave me 5 star feedback.

They replied asking if they would get a refund, and I replied that the cancellation policy meant that I didn't think they would.

That was the last I heard.

Until today. When I see this feedback is left

“I didn't really check in or view this apartment in person because my trip got cancelled, so I didn't plan to write a review for him. But the host dropped me a strangely awkward message that he wanted me to forge a 5-star rating for him, but later I questioned about his purpose as I hadn't really been to his apartment. Then, I got nothing but a review back. All I could say is whether the apartment is good or bad, I really don't know yet this person's honesty is indeed dubious. And I'm not sure has this ever happened to another guest or not - his reviews could be fabricated. (I don't know though)”

I had remained patiently waiting for him for 2 hours, he never said he wasn't coming, and I hoped he got better soon. Everything I did was in good faith yet I believe he left me a negative purely because he never got a refund.

Any comments are welcome on this issue. I believe Airbnb will remove this review soon because the guest never stayed but until then it may be hard for me to get bookings.

1 Best Answer
Deborah8
Level 4
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Hi All ,  

My thoughts are that a review should be a genuine reflection of the experience the guest has had , not something hosts can manipulate or barter for . If the guest was ill , has had to cancel the trip , is out of pocket & then asked for a 5* review then  he may feel like he`s  being treated unfairly . It has now made him question how genuine every good review actually is . It has , in my opinion , diluted the postive impact a good review has with all  the  other hosts . 

I would have either refunded & asked for this consideration to be reflected in any review .OR not refunded but not expect any more from a guest who was clearly having quite a tough time already . 

Im glad they removed the review but Im sorry to hear the bad taste its left in all parties mouths . Its a pity  that this guest is likely to view all other hosts as perhaps dubious and the reputation of the site has  been marred . 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Joel,
This is a perfect example on when it's best to let a review stand as it is and not to make a comment. If you make a comment it will feed into the narrative she has created. Let your other good reviews speak for you and remain silent on this one.
Joel1
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

The first customer sevice agent was really confrontational and quite aggressive, she seemed to think because I left a review that there was nothing to be done. So I told her I couldn't continue the conversation and rang again and this time the lady was very understanding and told me she would further investigate. And now the review has been removed. I'm happy and I think I've learnt a lesson

Thanks for replying !

The upside - you got it removed - yeah !!!
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Joel1,

Give Airbnb a call to have it removed.  The guest must stay at your listing in order to write a review and the person even states in their review they never stayed there.  I am sure if you called, they would remove it immediately and if you don't, it is probably something that will not be caught.  Did they actually cancel the booking?  Also, I just went through your reviews and I can't seem to find this one.  Was this message left in the review or the private feedback?  I am curious if you could let us know which guest it was?

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Excellent point - have it removed by Airbnb.
Deborah8
Level 4
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Hi All ,  

My thoughts are that a review should be a genuine reflection of the experience the guest has had , not something hosts can manipulate or barter for . If the guest was ill , has had to cancel the trip , is out of pocket & then asked for a 5* review then  he may feel like he`s  being treated unfairly . It has now made him question how genuine every good review actually is . It has , in my opinion , diluted the postive impact a good review has with all  the  other hosts . 

I would have either refunded & asked for this consideration to be reflected in any review .OR not refunded but not expect any more from a guest who was clearly having quite a tough time already . 

Im glad they removed the review but Im sorry to hear the bad taste its left in all parties mouths . Its a pity  that this guest is likely to view all other hosts as perhaps dubious and the reputation of the site has  been marred . 

Rick0
Level 6
Savannah, Georgia, United States

Why would you solicit a 5 star review??  WE know it's important, but the guests often do not...I would never solicit it, as you could come off as being dishonest (as the guest pointed out)...  Our performance & listings should stand on their own...if everyone always gives 5 stars, the review system is meaningless...(which it pretty much is, anyway)

I've started using Airbnb as a guest and now know that the site sends frequent reminders to guests about reviewing a listing after checkout and up until the 14 day review period ends. There's no need to ask or remind guests about reviews since Airbnb is already doing this.

I love the strategy of calling back and getting a different CX rep. Congrats on getting it removed.

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

I know of another case where this type of thing happened -- a host I know in Dallas, Texas, had a guest with a one night reservation.  The guest didn't arrive, saying he got lost on the freeway and ended up elsewhere.  He then asked the host to give him a full refund.  Host naturally refused to give a refund based on the guest's bad navigation skills and/or last minute choice to stay elsewhere.  Guest gave the host a bad review, full of 1-star ratings.  The host called up Airbnb asking that the guest's review be removed, based on the fact that he never even stayed -- Airbnb replied that guests who actually never stay in the host's place, are not allowed to leave a review.  Review and accompanying  inappropriate and vindictive 1-star ratings were expunged, and guest has a bit of  karma now pursuing him over his attempt to punish someone else for his own mistakes.   

I always appreciate hearing about these instances when Airbnb stands by the host. I feel there has been a shift and Airbnb is becoming more supprotive and sensitive to host dilemmas. Anybody else sense a similar trend?

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Joel1 - it's good that airbnb have removed the review as the guest did not stay but I'm sure their decision was based more on the fact the guest questioned the validy of the review system - brought about by your decision to solicit a 5 star review.

As others have said there is no need to solicit 5 star reviews, guests will award stars as they see fit and based on their perceptions of accuracy, overall experience, value, cleanliness etc - if they all gave 5 stars, hosts wouldn't learn anything or need to amend anything to improve the listing or experience.