Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Guest left behind wallet

Answered!
Kaela82
Level 3
Denver, CO

Guest left behind wallet

I had a guest leave behind their wallet, a pair of jeans, an electric toothbrush and some ear pods. She did contact me before the cleaners showed up to let me know about the wallet and I found everything else upon inspection. I contacted her to let her know that I found it and she asked me to send it to her. When I replied again asking for an address and also how she wanted it shipped. She never replied. I gave her a day and contacted her again asking where to send everything. Still no answer. I looked up her phone number on the app and texted her this morning asking the same questions. And I still haven't heard back from her. I don't want to be accused of stealing someone's wallet when I have attempted multiple times to contact her. What should I do at this point?

Top Answer

Thank you! 

I ended up contacting her on her cell phone and it did take a day for her to respond but I was able to ship the items finally and she paid me back for it all! 

View Top Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kaela82 Store the items for as long as your local laws require and then dispose of them - perhaps to a charity.

@Mike-And-Jane0 I can do that for sure. I just don't want her to say I stole her wallet. But I guess as long as there are messages saying I attempted multiple times, I should be good? I don't want to use the address on the drivers license in case that is an old address and someone else lives there now.

Thank you for your reply/advice!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If she wants you to return the items she should arrange pre paid collection. I would just message her to say this and that you will hold for however long you need to hold in your area and after that items will be disposed of. It's not your job to keep chasing her @Kaela82 

Thank you! 

I ended up contacting her on her cell phone and it did take a day for her to respond but I was able to ship the items finally and she paid me back for it all! 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

If you have her phone number, you could call her, @Kaela82 , and see if she is responding.

Perhaps she is travelling, and her phone is off?

You could also contact the Airbnb support, so they can try to contact her. At least, the customer service in involved by this, to prevent further trouble.

If the wallet contains legal documents like an ID, these belong to the government. Better ask your nearest police station what to do with them.