Guest left early, now what?

Answered!
Kaylee41
Level 2
Newport Beach, CA

Guest left early, now what?

I had a guest book for 30 nights.  After 3 nights, the next evening, I find out she left and wants a refund for the remaining nights.

Because she left and decided not to stay on the fourth night, it cost me that night plus the following night (tonight) because I’m still cleaning and laundering.

My questions/concerns:

• I want to make sure the days I refund her will become available again immediately so I can get the room booked again.

• I have a strict cancelation policy, yet I don’t want someone in my home who doesn’t want to be here.

• I am a Super Host and don’t want my status affected or a bad review.  Can she still review me if she decides to leave early?

• Should she handle this through the app or by contacting AirBnB or should I alter her length of stay myself?  Does it make a difference?

• AirBnB hasn’t responded to me in hours and if they keep lagging it’s going to continue affecting my availability.  Can I create a new listing for the same room so I can get it booked?  Does that violate any policies?
1 Best Answer

@Kaylee41  Tell her that she needs to cancel the booking.  Do not respond or agree to a cancellation request.  Airbnb should cancel her, pay you, and open your dates.  If she does not cancel through the platform, she still pays you, but you will have time off from booking as the dates will not reopen.  

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Kaylee41 🌿

When a guest books a stay that lasts more than 28 days the cancellation policy will automatically be ‘the long term cancellation policy’. It means that in case a guest chooses to leave early they will have to pay for at least 30 days or if the remainder of the stay is shorter- for the rest of the days. If a guest leaves early the guest must cancel from the guest’s side (do under no circumstances accept a ‘request to cancel’ from a guest as it will then look like you cancelled out on the guest) - the guest must and can do it all alone from the guest’ reservation page. The guest will automatically get refunded according to the cancellation policy by the system and your calendar will reopen for new guests. So no need to interfere in any way. You can afterwards choose to refund whatever you think is fair - if anything at all. When I have a guest who needs to cancel for whatever reason - I always offer them a refund should any of the days get rebooked. The guest did book, block and tie up the days so no one else could book. I find it rude to expect a refund just because the guest feels like leaving early - it is not really your fault. I do always explain the cancellation procedure - that the guest needs to cancel ASAP in order to open up the calendar so someone else can book. I’m super friendly but do explain that I blocked the dates for that specific guest and that the cancellation policy is there for a reason - but that I will gladly refund rebooked days. Very important is to always keep all communication in the Airbnb message feed. If the guest threatens you with a bad review or similar - Airbnb CS will be able to read it and help you. 
Best, Sandra 

AirBnB never responded to me.  And she is asking to check out early.  What do I tell her to do so I can make sure my calendar becomes available again?

Ask the guest to cancel the reservation.

@Kaylee41 If a guest decides to leave early the guest must cancel from their side. The calendar will then reopen so a new guest can book. It is so entitled to book and block a host’ calendar/listing and then just expect a refund because the guest changed his or hers mind. They wouldn’t get a dime if I were the host unless the place was rebooked of course. 

@Kaylee41 It is very likely that she can see that she isn’t getting a refund in case she cancels and that is why she ‘acts like she doesn’t know what to do’. You need to be firm but of course also very polite explaining that she needs to cancels as it is her decision to leave early. That the place was blocked just for her no no one else could book and that it will be difficult for you to fill out all the days with such short notice. You can tell her that she will get refunded if you wish to refund her. If I were you I would educate myself in what to do in cases like this because it can easily take a while for Airbnb CS to respond and also it is nice to be able to explain to a guest about the different procedures in whatever situation that may accure. Please tell us about the outcome 🌿

I HAVE A NO-REFUND POLICY.  IF THEY BOOKED THOSE DAYS AND YOUR OTHER GUEST COULD HAVE BOOKED THOSE DAYS YOU LOST MONEY.  I JUST DEALT WITH A GUESS TO TRY THAT AND I TOLD HER NO REFUND.  SHE GOT MAD AND DID A RETALIATORY REVIEW.  BUT AIRBNB AND I ARE HANDLING THAT IT REALLY TAKES A WHILE TO DO BUT YOU HAVE TO BE MINDFUL THAT A HORRIBLE REVIEW IS COMING TO YOU.  KEEP YOUR PROOF OF ALL CONVERSATIONS AND YOUR AMBASSADOR WILL WORK WITH YOU.  IT TAKES A WHILE BUT THEY ARE VERY GOOD AT HELPING YOU WITH THIS.  HOWEVER, IT DEPENDS ON YOUR POLICY.

hi!  Wondering your opinion on a long term guest stay where the guest leaves early with 2 x months left of the stay without notice?  I was not aware that the guest is not penalized at all for leaving!  My guest left with 6 x weeks left.  What are cancellation policies even there for if a guest can leave at any time?  That means if someone books a 6 x month stay and you make arrangements to be away for those 6 x months, and the guest leaves after month 1, you are without that monthly income that you counted on and the guest is not obligated to any part of the reservation. What do you think about that?  

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think hosts are foolhardy to use Airbnb any longer terms booking post one month, knowing guests can cancel with 30 days notice @Christy305 

did you not read the long term cancellation policy before accepting the booking? 

hi   when I set up my listings, I don't remember any long term cancelation information, so when I decided on my cancelation policy I thought that applied across the board for all stays.   I considered writing up a lease off of airbnb but wanted to be protected via airbnb in case of damages or anything and also wanted the payment to go through airbnb.   I've had several long term stays in the past for 2-3 x months and a 4 x month stay with no issue.   

@Christy305 when a guest cancels a long term stay they will have to pay for 30 extra days. The system is set up to automatically pay you those 30 days when the guest cancels. What happened in your case and what did Airbnb CS say? 

Hi!  thanks for replying.  the guest has not canceled the booking yet BUT airbnb support did not mention  that I will receive  another 30-day payment. They basically said that she is paid up for 6 x more days and then that's it.  I really hope you're right!  I'll keep you posted 

Hi I just got notification that my guest canceled the reservation finally ( I had messaged her asking her to do this). But in the same email as the cancelation, is the sentence "

"Hi CHRISTY, Unfortunately your guest had to cancel reservation HMSKT49RP4.  Since we are unable to collect payment from the guest, no payout will be issued for this canceled reservation. "  

So I guess the guest is blocking the payment?  Not sure if this is accurate or not. Every month Airbnb emails me to say they are having a difficult time obtaining a payment but then they send payment.  I'll keep you posted !  thank you!

@Kaylee41  Tell her that she needs to cancel the booking.  Do not respond or agree to a cancellation request.  Airbnb should cancel her, pay you, and open your dates.  If she does not cancel through the platform, she still pays you, but you will have time off from booking as the dates will not reopen.  

I  did exactly  has you  advised  Airbnb  Support contacted me a afee  times  to  cancel  and  I  didn't so no.  ess my  nights remained  blocked  but  so what I  got paid and  didn't  have too deal  with an unreasonable guest.