Guest lie about cleanliness

Melody246
Level 2
Dublin, CA

Guest lie about cleanliness

I accepted a booking from ** from December 26, 2023, to January 4, 2024, in my 1-bedroom unit. I would like to share my experience for the benefit of other Airbnb hosts.

** communicated a late check-in at 3:00 AM on December 27, which I accommodated. However, he arrived later than expected, checking in at 8:30 PM on the 27th and departing around noon on the 28th.  Neither changes to his later arrival nor premature departure were communicated to me.

Post-departure, ** requested a full refund directly through Airbnb, citing two main issues: inability to access the property on December 26 and dissatisfaction with the cleanliness of the bedding. It's important to note that the door access code remained available to him for check-in at his leisure anytime throughout the night based on his 3 AM communicated arrival time and I waited up to greet him but no one showed up.  Additionally, as a Superhost, I ensure that all linens are changed and cleaned for each guest.

While I processed the full refund as requested, there were discrepancies in ** claims to AirBnb that were inconsistent with both direct communication with me and what transpired. Overall, my experience with ** was extremely challenging, and I hope this review helps other hosts in their decision-making process.

**[Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines]

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm confused why would you offer someone a full refund who stayed at your property ? @Melody246 

the review for your guest is the one you leave on your Guests profile so other hosts considering this guest can see it. 

The full refund is probably to avoid a retaliatory review and/or reporting a listing issue and/or safety issue. 

Unfortunately, it seems like offering a refund is probably the best thing to do in cases like this even if the guests don't deserve it based on the current system which sides with guests more than hosts. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As you know as an experienced SH @Zheng49 

it's irrelevant whether you refund a guest or not they can still leave you a bad review .

I don't agree at all that you should reward bad guests for bad behaviour. 

Agree. But Airbnb took the lier guest side other than its super host. Disappointing. 

Agree. Airbnb chose to be on the guest side even if they lied. 

yes, I left the review so other hosts can see it.