Guest making false claims in order to try to get a full refund

Jeremy1111
Level 1
Hong Kong

Guest making false claims in order to try to get a full refund

Hello All,

We have an unfortunate story with a guest we would like to share with all the community.

Yesterday, a guest contacted us asking if he could het a free early check-in, we offered him a free early check-in.

Few hours later, our guest contacted us again to ask if he could bring a visitor, we agreed and granted permission (in the Philippines, not all buildings allow it).

At approximately 3 o'clock in the morning, all of a sudden, out of the blue, we received a message from Airbnb customer support to tell us "as you may already know, your guest contacted us..." ..."to ask for a full refund" because your sink is not working.

By the way, upon booking, we provided to our guest 2 phone numbers to contact in case of any issue.

Our building has a lobby and a 24 hours maintenance team.

Our guest knows how to reach us because he sent us multiple messages to ask for free early check-in and permission to have visitor.

We received 0 message from our guest regarding any sink issue.

We immediatly contacted our guest in regards with his full refund request and he kept silence, stop replying to us.

We informed Airbnb at around 4;00am that we are not willing to issue any refund for multiple reasons:

1. Our guest occupied the property from 1:00pm and is still occupying our property

2. Because our guest never contacted us in any manner to report any issue

3. Our guest never try to ask the maintenance team to fix the sink if there is really an issue

Then Airbnb customer service came back to us with an extra complain from the same guest "our washing machine is out of service".

Here is a really big joke/scam, our listing doesn't include any washing machine. There is a laundry shop inside the building, onthe ground floor and our amnity shows "paid laundry in the building".

Our listing is not showing any photo of a washing machine. Our confirmation message sent to the guest automatically after booking also includes a paragraph "**Laundry", we state again there that we do not provide any washing machine and laundry can be done in the ground floor.

At 10:00am we sent a maintenance staff to check the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink, all were working perfectly, 0 issue, no leak at all, not clogged. Guest did not know what to say - one of the two guests was present only.

The technician recorded a video showing our sinks are perfectly working.

Finally, Airbnb closed this case and reminded us to keep a high standard etc.

After the false claims did not work to get a full refund and after our guest ignored all our messages,he sent us a message and sayed "I apology, actually the sink was not a big deal for me, I did not realise that I contacted Airbnb customer service, I had a panick attack" etc...

Who believes this kind of guest should be banned ? they provide unnecessary stress, cost us labour fee for nothing, damage our sleep (had to work from 3am to 5am to reply to this scam attempt), damage the whole reputation and atmosphere on Airbnb.

It helps feeling better to share this kind of experience and if it can help you, we feel even better.

0 Replies 0