Guest maligns host to bypass cancellation fees

Guest maligns host to bypass cancellation fees

I’m new. My listing is destroyed by a guest who cancelled and outright lied  . Overnight my rating fell from 5 stars to 4. No more bookings. Cancellation policy is strict if she did but lied she won’t be refunded.

Day of check in she maligned me , left and cancelled. She told me  “will you refund it or I’ll dispute with Airbnb”  I replied she needs to get the refund from Airbnb. 

So she lied about smelly smells in alley, puke everywhere, mildew smell, rancid smell, fridge(brand new), complained that f even stray cats. 

I sent pics to support. 

Despite these Airbnb refunded her full so thereafter she  harassed me with “ha ha” “shame on you”  I had to block her so she left me a 1 star review 

She even  labelled my neighbor a bum homeless 

I informed Airbnb they did not help 

No consequences to guest whether lying to bypass strict cancellation policy nor false review 

22 Replies 22
Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Hello Rene. 
I ‘m surprised AIRBNB did not investigate her claims?

I really think AIRBNB should allow the removal of one bad guest review, per year. As a host,  we can’t please everybody. The guests are learning if they complain about certain issues, they will be refunded. It sounds like she may have had a change of plans and did not want to pay your strict cancellation fee, which she originally agreed to.

Can we start - the option to remove one guest review per year from our Airbnb ? 

Thanks Debbie I fully support removing unlinited false reviews or 1 bad review per year. My place is brand new and this guest complained about the brand new fridge she said it leaked. well it doesn't.  She changed her plans went to my place to cancel. If she told the truth she will need to pay.

Airbnb gave her a full refund despite my strict cancelation policy reward for lies aboit "smelly smells" etcs and let her leave me a 1 star, I only had  many 5 stars except her

We are going through this right now with guests. It's unfortunate to read that Airbnb is continuing to side with the guests. We are waiting for our resolution, but from what I'm reading, on this forum, it's not looking good.

Kelli8
Level 2
Olympia, WA

Yes, I had the same thing happen! I'm so disappointed in Airbnb, my Super Host is shot with her 1 star review and now I'm struggling to recoop. As a host since 2015 of 7 properites I can't believe I have no support and her review was long and so obviously revenge for wanting to cancel her stay and get refunded.

I agree we should be able to challenge or remove 1 review.

I totally agree. I asked Airbnb if a recent guest's review could be removed as they were proven to be in the wrong, and I, in turn, would not write a bad review for them. Airbnb said that it was helpful to other hosts to have the bad review of the guest. 

It is very frustrating that most of us are trying to provide the best possible experience and guests can do and say anything they want without recourse. 

@Fletcher-And-Janet0 I absolutely agree with Airbnb. It would destroy the system if people are able to trade for good/bad reviews.

Anyway if the guests review is published you have missed your chance to review them.

Destroy is a harsh word.

It is unfortunate tho when a guest leaves a 100% false review. Others are saying that you shouldn't address it thoroughly as it makes the host look badly. 

I still have a week to review my guest and I will be thorough and share the many lies they told and the rules they broke. If someone doesn't want to stay with me because I do enforce the rules for the other guests staying, so be it. I probably don't want them anyways. 

It is also harmful to hosts who give a great review of their guests and then find out afterwards that they lied in their review. And while you can reply, it does not show on that guest's history to my knowledge, and you can't update it. 

These guests who complain about something after the fact when you could have easily resolved their personal issue during their stay is frustrating. 

@Fletcher-And-Janet0 Why do you think you can still review this guest? The time finished when his review was published.

*** Obviously, their review has NOT been published. I still have 7 days to post mine of them. Read the details. 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Fletcher-And-Janet0 I am totally confused - How can you say the review is 100% false when you haven't seen it yet?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Fletcher-And-Janet0 While I understand the frustration that can be caused by such reviews, please make sure you remain respectful towards each other and adhere to the Community Guidelines. Thanks 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Totally agree with you how can guests' lies be relevant in ANY setting and yet be published  ?  - airbnb's own review policy rules require  "relevance" "no bias" etcs  however not even outlandish guest's lies are any breach of their rules

"Smelly smells"  ""Allergies to smells?? stray cats??" got her the full refund on a strict cancelation policy - what message does it send to liar guests 

After her "ha ha" to the host, she gets to give a 1 star on the 5 star listing too

Guests lie for their own agenda, in my case money, in yours for enforcing your rules 

How do we host when Hosts have no right to not have something as basic as not having lies published on their listings 

How much time money investment effort damages Hosts are to suffer only for  guests to lie and destroy overnight for their own agenda 

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Are you Rene or Jacob?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Rene2450  or @Jacob731  (who actually is the host here??)

I am sorry but regardless of the wrongs or rights in this matter your completely over the top response to this guest in response to her review would mean I would never stay with you.

A short, factual, professional response is that is needed. That you are so disappointed but completely puzzled that the guest felt she had this experience. That you personally cleaned the apartment previous to her check in (if that is the case) and it was spotless with no items left in the fridge) That CCTV showed she wasn't approached by anyone on her way in or out of the apartment.

Just because you advertise no pet fee at your listing doesn't mean that having stray cats outside a building is comfortable for everyone.

Your response to her review is far more likely to affect future bookings than her initial review. 

I am sorry you had this experience.