Guest owes me money

Jessica2477
Level 2
Cabarita Beach, Australia

Guest owes me money

Hi. I recently had a guest ask for me to pick his girlfriend up some flowers for her bday. I wanted to say no. I’m busy enough being a mum and working to be his concierge service. But I also didn’t want it to impact my star rating. So I agreed and gave him 2 options. A $15 bunch of a $40 bunch. He agreed to the nicer bunch. I had a really small window to pick them up. So I just grabbed them before he had paid me. He said he was going to transfer the money. Didn’t. Checked out today. Also said he was going to transfer the money. Didn’t. Kinda don’t really know what I should do. I don’t want to nag him as I don’t want it impact how he reviews me. I know I’ve probably handled this all wrong. So go easy on me. I’m a new to hosting

3 Replies 3
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jessica2477  Did you send the request for funds via the Resolution Center?  If so, you can contact CS and ask them to contact the guest for payment -- as long as it shows as due on the website and is time-stamped prior to the guest arrival and departure.

If you did not charge via the website, you are probably going to have to chalk this up to a learning experience.  I am sorry.  

Give him a little time to pay, but on the last day that you can review the guest, write something honest but brief --

" Pleasant guest who followed all house rules and left our property in good condition.  Requested additional special services which were delivered to guest but were not paid for."

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jessica2477 I am not sure if a guest can just "transfer the money" on the Airbnb platform. You actually have to go into the reservation and request the funds. The guest will then pay the request or decline it. If he declines, then you have a problem. 

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Jessica2477 ,

It's very frustrating when you do someone a favor and then have to beg for your money back. As others have said, let Airbnb handle it. File a payment request (you can find it in the guest reservation and then send or request money).

Next time, collect the money before providing the service, using the same method. It works like a charm. Personally, I wouldn't do this, but be aware that some hosts charge an additional 10-20% service fee for the time and gas they've spent.