Guest perspective

Answered!
Roberta989
Level 1
Sorrento, Australia

Guest perspective

I recently had 2 guests lie/misrepresent my communication. One outwardly lied and gave me 1 * claiming there was no contact from me when he checked in. There is a stream to prove him wrong. I responded  within a minute with some.

another guest gave me four stars for everything I believe without considering.  I actually had 100% before these guests and have continued in that line. 
air bnb has not helped and now I will lose that perfect rating

Also, the first guest was dissatisfied with my “kitchen” saying it needed a stove top and sink.

in my listing I only have a kitchenette which is for “heating and refrigerating food” according to air bnb. There is a sink next to it In the laundry.

the guest who gave me 4 stars for everything only ticked 1 section in each category yet the previous 2 bookings gave me 5*. I don’t offer more or less on any occasion. And when they claim less than perfect in accuracy I can’t find the problem and the guest doesn’t explain.

I have acted on suggestions wherever possible and some of the air bnb ideas are not relevant to my studio apartment.

I need help in redesigning how I introduce my bnb accommodation please. How do I find this?

Roberta “Casa” on Collins

1 Best Answer

Hi @Roberta989 

@Paula tagged me regarding some of the recent issues you were having. Luv your place! Sometimes Hosts need to disclose information in multiple places, as many guests don’t read your listing description, but will at least look at your photos. Took a quick look at the listing and just a few suggestions:

Add Profile Picture

I would add your photo to your profile. Right now it just shows “R”. 

Listing Accuracy

You state this is a studio (bed in a common area not in separate room), but the listing says “1bedroom”? Showing the listing as a one bedroom when it's really a studio is not accurate and could cause you problems. Under the Listing in Rooms/Spaces I would say bedrooms “0” not “1 bedroom” and Airbnb will automatically show the wording “Studio” in your sub title. It will appear like this:

Studio.png

Kitchenette No Sink or Stove

Many guests will look at photos, but not read your description. I would add a caption to the photo(s) of the Kitchenette that says all the amenities you offer in the kitchenette and then say “No stove or sink in kitchen; laundry sink available.”

Photos

Add captions to ALL your photos.

Smoke Alarm Going Off

I would replace the batteries,. When they get low the alarm starts going off and usually happens in the middle of the night! Set a regular schedule to replace the batteries so this doesn’t happen again. If the smoke alarm is too sensitive, you may need to move it to a new location.

Add Note to Bathroom Photo

Due to safety regulations, there is no powerpoint in the bathroom – there is a powerpoint outlet under the long mirror near the bed.”

Instant Book – Add Pre-Booking Message Re Kitchenette No Sink/Stove

You can add a pre-booking message that says something like:

“Welcome! Thank you for choosing us for your stay! Please we provide (list what is available in kitchenette), but please note there is no stove or kitchen sink; there is a sink in the laundry area.”

Guest Safety/Property Section

Add Under Potential for Noise:

“This is a Garden Level Suite – Host resides above on main level of House – We are very quiet, but you may hear some occasional noise during the day.”

Hopefully some of these suggestions will help you avoid some issues with Guest Reviews. Let us know here how it goes.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Roberta989I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your guests.

I am reaching out to some of our expert Hosts to see if they would like to share some advice: @Joan2709@Laurelle3 and @Joelle43.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hi @Roberta989 

@Paula tagged me regarding some of the recent issues you were having. Luv your place! Sometimes Hosts need to disclose information in multiple places, as many guests don’t read your listing description, but will at least look at your photos. Took a quick look at the listing and just a few suggestions:

Add Profile Picture

I would add your photo to your profile. Right now it just shows “R”. 

Listing Accuracy

You state this is a studio (bed in a common area not in separate room), but the listing says “1bedroom”? Showing the listing as a one bedroom when it's really a studio is not accurate and could cause you problems. Under the Listing in Rooms/Spaces I would say bedrooms “0” not “1 bedroom” and Airbnb will automatically show the wording “Studio” in your sub title. It will appear like this:

Studio.png

Kitchenette No Sink or Stove

Many guests will look at photos, but not read your description. I would add a caption to the photo(s) of the Kitchenette that says all the amenities you offer in the kitchenette and then say “No stove or sink in kitchen; laundry sink available.”

Photos

Add captions to ALL your photos.

Smoke Alarm Going Off

I would replace the batteries,. When they get low the alarm starts going off and usually happens in the middle of the night! Set a regular schedule to replace the batteries so this doesn’t happen again. If the smoke alarm is too sensitive, you may need to move it to a new location.

Add Note to Bathroom Photo

Due to safety regulations, there is no powerpoint in the bathroom – there is a powerpoint outlet under the long mirror near the bed.”

Instant Book – Add Pre-Booking Message Re Kitchenette No Sink/Stove

You can add a pre-booking message that says something like:

“Welcome! Thank you for choosing us for your stay! Please we provide (list what is available in kitchenette), but please note there is no stove or kitchen sink; there is a sink in the laundry area.”

Guest Safety/Property Section

Add Under Potential for Noise:

“This is a Garden Level Suite – Host resides above on main level of House – We are very quiet, but you may hear some occasional noise during the day.”

Hopefully some of these suggestions will help you avoid some issues with Guest Reviews. Let us know here how it goes.

@Joan2709 @Roberta989 we had a particular make of smoke alarm (Fireangel) that went off randomly in the night. We had to bite the bullet and replace them all with a different make.

@Roberta989 

@Mike-And-Jane0 have an excellent suggestion about adding a single or double burner induction cooktop! The only thing is only certain types of pans will work on induction cooktop, so be sure you have those. Also, some induction cooktops require you to turn them on, before placing the pan on top. Have had many guests say the induction cooktop wasn't working as they placed the pan on top, then turned it on 😊. We had to put a label on the cooktop to solve that.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Roberta989 A few thoughts:

Guests like to know who they are dealing with. Perhaps consider adding a photo to your profile.

I may have missed it but I didn't see a picture of the kitchenette. Also could you consider adding a single/double ring counter top induction hob?