Guest requested to change reservation dates and then cancelled.

Emilia5
Level 2
Whistler, Canada

Guest requested to change reservation dates and then cancelled.

Hello: I have a guest who was supposed to stay at my place last week. The day before check-in he said because of a storm his entire group will not make it and if I would be willing to give him a different weekend. After going back and forth with different weekend options he decided on a weekend two weeks from his original booking. I did not charge him and gave him the new weekend for no addiotional cost from the goodness of my heart even though I have a strick cencellation policy and could have charged him. 

Now, he just canceled the new weekened and got more than half his money back. I think this is ridiculous and I feel like he tricked me into allowing to change the weekend so he could get at least some money back as opposed to nothing if he canceled his original booking. 

I really need help on this matter and feel as if I, the owner of the home, is being used and taken advantage of. This is completely unjustice.

Thank you.

30 Replies 30
Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

I hate this AIrbnb scam loophole.   Often I wold happily accept a late change request except I have had this happen to me before. Strict cancellation - a change request a few days before booking - then cancellation. Have even read of guests doing on day of check in - getting both a full refund and a stay!   This loophole means I cant be accommodating to my guests - give them a seamless experience.  I currently have a young cash strapped group who have asked to reduce their stay by 2 days.  I rejected the change. I don't mind the reduction as I have a booking straight after but how dumb that I have to give them cash and have the days blocked in my calendar all to avoid a scam loophole!  And this original post was 2016 so not changing any time soon.