Guest requesting refund under strict long term refund policy

Faye39
Level 2
New York, NY

Guest requesting refund under strict long term refund policy

Hello everyone. I have a guest who originally booked 50 nights, on day 20 after he checked in, he requesting to alter the reservation to 30 nights, and ask me to refund the rest 20 nights (he's full aware of our strict long-term refund policy at the time of booking). His reason was he has some personal issues, and is planning to leave early. I approved his request to shorten the reservation, but I told him if someone else re-book those nights he cancelled, I'm willing to consider a good-will refund. However, he is being very pushy and impatient, he said my future booking have nothing to do with him. He request me to refund immediately. I don't think I should discuss numbers with him, one because I have not yet got the paid-out for the remaining 20 nights, not until 2 days after he checks out. Two, as a host, I made many exception since this guest checked in, he negotiated for more appliances, he is currently using my porch to store his bike. I have only said yes to all the requests he has made so far. So I don't think I can/should make another exception. What would be the best solution in a situation like this? Please help, thank you.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Faye39 The best solution is the one you have proposed. If he isn't happy with this then there is little you can do. Perhaps try to explain once more that him blocking your calendar since he booked in XX month means that you were not able to get bookings hence why future bookings will now affect his refund. 

Prepare for a bad review I am afraid. But if you do get one then no refund should be given (shame you can't tell him that!)

@Mike-And-Jane0  Yeah...I'm concerned about getting a negative review, but I also agree with what you are saying. Thank you so much.