Guest requests invoice, refuses to accept the downloadable receipt

Answered!
Melanie771
Level 2
Dunnellon, FL

Guest requests invoice, refuses to accept the downloadable receipt

Does anyone have a personal template that they use to provide an invoice.  I have guest who is continually asking for an invoice, stating that the confirmation and trip receipt are not acceptable.  I have never had to provide one and my guest is being downright nasty.

I don't have any other documentation for her as this is my only property and I only utilize the Airbnb tools.  I don't keep a separate book as a business would 

I have contacted Airbnb.  They contacted her and told her what to download.  they contacted me and said they had told how to get what she needs and now she is after an invoice again and complaining that I "demanded" my guest to do all kinds of things at check out (take out the garbage, wash the dishes, and wash the towels and leave them in the dryer to dry upon checkout); however I refuse to comply with a simple request. 

I'm not sure what to do.  Any advice would be helpful.  We have already covered how to get the trip invoice from airbnb, but I think she wants a personal invoice from me. 

thank you

Melanie

1 Best Answer

@Joan2709 Thank you for the reply and the help.   I try not to get aggravated with needy guests, I have only had one or two that I've had to report or provide a less than stellar review to. 

I have asked her several times to provide what information she is looking for that has not been provided.  I gave her a poor review because they left without following the checkout instructions ( after asking for a late checkout). The only thing I can think she wants, is something that she can use as a business expense.  And again..both I and an Airbnb representative told her where to go and how to download her receipt.  she even stated "Airbnb told me how to download it, but that's just a receipt I want an invoice. " so..she gets an invoice and I will be reporting her to Airbnb as a precaution. 

However , the "INVOICE" I created is basically all the information on her trip receipt. She sent me her tax id information to add, so i am creating one for her.  But... I am adding a note at the bottom that reads. ,  

"Note:  This is an Airbnb Host generated invoice. 

Airbnb Hosts only have access to booking dates, reviews and guest profile information.  Financial or Specific payment information such as guest bank accounts or credit card usage is not available to the Host.  

All payments are conducted through the Airbnb platform for the safety of the guest and host. For information on form of payment or other financial questions, guest should refer to their Airbnb account/ Trip/ Invoice."

**[Image removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines - Please note that is not allowed to post an image that contains identifiable information due to privacy concerns]

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14

Hi @Melanie771 

I guest I'm confused as to why the guest needs an "invoice." Her Trip Details/Reservation show what she paid per night, cleaning fee, Airbnb Guest Service Fee and Taxes?  

You could just go to the Reservations Tab and click Reservations Details. At the top is a print button. Instead of choosing a printer to print it out, choose save as PDF. Then send her the PDF (if she uses an Iphone), or ask her for an email to attach it to. Android users can't receive a PDF, but you could attach it if using WhatsApp.

I guess I would message her and ask her what information she is looking for on an "invoice" that is not included in her reservation confirmation she already has? She can also find the total amount she paid on her credit card statement. 

Once she tells you what info she wants on an invoice, you can create a simple invoice in Word (it has a template for an invoice). I'm thinking this is gonna be a bad review coming your way and perhaps she wants to dispute the cleaning fee? However, the cleaning fee is always visible before the guest books and checkout instructions are now visible under "Things to Know" before a guest books (if you completed the checkout instruction section on the listing), but many don't look at that. I did note that the request to "wash the towels and leave them in the dryer to dry upon checkout" is not listed in your checkout instructions. I would add that under additional instructions and anything else you ask guests to do should be listed in checkout instructions. She has a point in that you didn't list that in your checkout instructions. If you ask guests to do something at checkout, you must list it in your checkout instructions on the listing so guests can see every checkout item you request. If they don't agree with your checkout tasks on the listing, they shouldn't book.Word Invoice Template.png

@Joan2709 Thank you for the reply and the help.   I try not to get aggravated with needy guests, I have only had one or two that I've had to report or provide a less than stellar review to. 

I have asked her several times to provide what information she is looking for that has not been provided.  I gave her a poor review because they left without following the checkout instructions ( after asking for a late checkout). The only thing I can think she wants, is something that she can use as a business expense.  And again..both I and an Airbnb representative told her where to go and how to download her receipt.  she even stated "Airbnb told me how to download it, but that's just a receipt I want an invoice. " so..she gets an invoice and I will be reporting her to Airbnb as a precaution. 

However , the "INVOICE" I created is basically all the information on her trip receipt. She sent me her tax id information to add, so i am creating one for her.  But... I am adding a note at the bottom that reads. ,  

"Note:  This is an Airbnb Host generated invoice. 

Airbnb Hosts only have access to booking dates, reviews and guest profile information.  Financial or Specific payment information such as guest bank accounts or credit card usage is not available to the Host.  

All payments are conducted through the Airbnb platform for the safety of the guest and host. For information on form of payment or other financial questions, guest should refer to their Airbnb account/ Trip/ Invoice."

**[Image removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines - Please note that is not allowed to post an image that contains identifiable information due to privacy concerns]

@Melanie771 

You really went above and beyond for this guest. I'm glad you put in the Note about the limits of what the invoice provides. 

I would not communicate further with her after this. You can always block her messaging you on the platform and block texts from her as well. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I certainly wouldn't have done this . I would have had Airbnb cancel the booking @Melanie771 

Unfortunately this was after they had completed their trip

@Joan2709 This is helpful and interesting... I'm new on the platform...Quick question, do you have to state everything in your listing as far as extra fees are concerned for not taking trash out, leaving wall heaters on.  I have a cabin in the woods and It seems like I'm being picky in listing all this on the Airbnb House Rules compared to other rentals I've seen.  We do state all of this information  in the Guest Handbook in the cabin and our site says everything in the Manual.  What do you recommend?  I want to protect myself as much as I can...just had my first horrific experience so learning as I go.  Your help is much appreciated!

Hi @Adriana1674 

Welcome!

Fees/Fines

If you want to charge a guest for breaking a specific house rule, you must disclose that in your Addl Rules Section on the listing. Otherwise, it is not enforceable as you didn't disclose in your House Rules. For example:

"No Pets - undisclosed pets will be charge $100 per pet/night...."

This also protects you if you get a retaliatory review (request Airbnb remove) as the guest doesn't like you charged them a fee for breaking a House Rule.

Check-out Tasks

If you have a specific task for guests at check-out, you must list them under Check-out instructions. This way they can see them before they book. If they don't like your check-out tasks, they shouldn't book. If a guest doesn't follow check-out instructions, most Hosts just mention this in the review and give them a lower star rating for that.

Check Out Instructions.png

Thank you!  appreciate the help!

A.

Hi again @Adriana1674 

Took a quick look at your listing and luv your place!

Just a tip I thought I would pass along what has caused some new Hosts problems with Airbnb and guests. Airbnb has very strict guidelines on how to disclose your security devices. Some things you are required to do (and many Hosts miss this) is to disclose whether an active recording is taking place and where the cameras are located. I would review the Airbnb article below and update your camera disclosures:

Informing Guests About Security Devices

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2914

Host

Informing guests about security devices

There’s a balance between keeping your place safe and secure, and your guest's privacy. Here’s what you need to know:

• Intentionally concealed recording devices (such as hidden security cameras) are never permitted
  • Airbnb prohibits security cameras or recording devices that are in or that observe private spaces like bedrooms, bathrooms, or sleeping areas
  • You must indicate the presence of all security cameras or other recording devices in or around a listing, even if they're not turned on or hooked up
  • Undisclosed security cameras or other recording devices are never permitted
  • You must also always disclose if an active recording is taking place

Suggest you update/edit your disclosure to include this language. Here is an example:

Security Camera Disclosures:

“Two, exterior, outward-facing cameras. Ring video doorbell that overlooks guest parking/entrance. Flood security light/camera in front of garage. Both cameras actively record audio/video when motion is detected. Cameras must remain unobstructed and not tampered with or disconnected”

I would include that cameras must remain unobstructed and not tampered with or disconnected in your House Rules as well. This protects you from guests who intentionally cover them, unplug them, or disable the internet connection to them, so they can have a party without being seen on a camera. 

Thank you @Joan2709 ,  I will definitely update this. I have currently blocked a few weeks just to update my listing after reading all these threads.  Its really eye opening! Once again,  I really appreciate your help.  😊

Actually the checkout instructions are, in the rule book on the coffee table, and posted on the fridge. 
The welcome message sent to guests along with the check in instructions and door code instructs guests to read the rule book upon arrival. The instructions are in the nook along with the wifi password. 
Upon your suggestion, I did update my listing with the checkout rules, both in the welcome and departure messages. Thank you!

@Melanie771 

Perfect! Be sure to add all your checkout tasks in the info for guests section of the listing also (not just in your house rules)

“-wash towels and leave drying in the dryer upon departure.”

add to Before You Leave:

Joan2709_0-1701206286919.png

This way if a guest complains about your checkout tasks and gives you a retaliatory review, you can say your checkout tasks are available on your listing before a guest books (I believe this is why Airbnb added this feature) and in your Addl House Rules. Most guests don’t read the “Things to Know” section which includes Addl House Rules and checkout tasks. Having that in the listing gives you grounds to have a review removed if a guest complains saying they didn’t know about checkout tasks before booking.

We all know guests don’t read, but it’s good you have it posted inside the listing too, but the true protection for a Host is having checkout instructions on the listing available to view before booking.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Melanie771  Tell her to go pound sand. You are under no obligation to do this for her. Her demand is ridiculous. The information is there and available, and there's nothing you can provide that the AirBnB receipt doesn't provide. She gets nasty over this? Tell her to take a hike. And then tell her that she's not welcome at your property anymore. Jeez....

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Melanie771 The most I would have supplied to her is a receipt for the host payout. The fees she pays to Airbnb are between her and Airbnb. When we have private bookings for workers we just supply a simple Word document saying how much they payed. No one has ever complained.