Guest scam?

Answered!
Karina844
Level 2
Midland, TX

Guest scam?

I’m reaching out on here to see if any other hosts have experienced this scenario, but it has now happened to me twice that a guest Checks in and looks in inconspicuous places, (Under Bed, under fridge, under couch & Couch cushions) to find any Messy areas. Then they photograph them, Say they don’t want any assistance. It will take care of it themselves, send a complaint to Airbnb and ask for a full refund. 

1 Best Answer

Thank you Mike. Air bnb did tell her that if she didn’t want me to go assist with it it would be up to me on how to proceed and we did choose to refund but have her removed. She ended up messaging me and telling she was a “single mom and had no where to stay” & said all the opposite of what the air bnb rep has said to me. We ended up asking her to leave anyway and she sent back a mean message which we just ignored. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Andrea2460
Level 9
Hallowell, ME

I have not had this experience but another host on a different issue did suggest that there are blogs out there on how to get a free stay at an Airbnb.  It's akin to the recent news on  a Tic Tok stream where an illegal immigrant boasted that he figured out that he could use squatter rights to take over someone's property that is not occupied.

That’s not surprising because this is literally the exact same situation that I had with a completely different guest at a different property. Only this guest reached out to bnb support before her stay and the last one asked for a full refund after her stay. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Karina844 for cleaning issues Airbnb/the guest  is supposed to give the host the opportunity to clean up. I suggest you point this out to Airbnb if they refund the guest.

Thank you Mike. Air bnb did tell her that if she didn’t want me to go assist with it it would be up to me on how to proceed and we did choose to refund but have her removed. She ended up messaging me and telling she was a “single mom and had no where to stay” & said all the opposite of what the air bnb rep has said to me. We ended up asking her to leave anyway and she sent back a mean message which we just ignored.