Guest somehow specified a custom check-in time?

Collin129
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Guest somehow specified a custom check-in time?

Hi everyone, host here. I host a space that has a 5PM or later check-in. However, I recently had a reservation where the guest stated (and the app showed) that they had a check-in time of 1-3 PM. How is this possible? Did they request it and I just accepted it, not knowing this was an alteration? I'm really confused how this could have happened.

3 Replies 3
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Collin129 

I have checked both of your listings, and for both the check-in time does seem to be set at 17h00. I know that some guests indicate their estimated arrival time when booking, but I've never noticed one earlier than my check-in time (so I've assumed they can only choose time slots from check-in time onwards). Can you add a screenshot? It's already a challenge to get everything ready in time for a regular arrival, so I find this beyond frightening - I hope someone here can explain away this issue!

Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

@Collin129 In a recent post a guest missed his refund deadline, because he was in a time zone that was different from the one of the listing he had booked. Is there any way this issue may have to do with a time zone change on your app due to traveling? Or, given the date of the booking, could it be daylight savings time? My own local time is the same year-round, so I have no idea how seasonal change displays on the app regarding the estimated arrival time given. Trying to think of anything that could've caused this difference.

@Collin129 

While you are trying to find out how this happened, I would change your check-in time from flexible to a window: 5pm-11pm (or whatever you want) and see if this makes any difference

Joan2709_2-1725029035155.png

I see you use Instant Book? There used to be a problem with that as the pre-booking message (if Host used one) used to say the guest should message the Host as to when they will check in. Airbnb has since changed the wording that appears, but may not have changed the functionality that allowed guests to choose a check-in time in the App:

Joan2709_0-1725028988569.png