Guest using my address for his bank affairs

Answered!
Est6036
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guest using my address for his bank affairs

Hello everyone,

I'm curious about the legality of a former guest using my address for their banking activities weeks after moving out. They didn't seek permission, left without notice, and this situation is raising concerns. Airbnb provided the guest with my address, but I can't find any mention in the terms and conditions granting them the right or permission to use it. I find it disrespectful and possibly illegal for them to use my address for banking affairs after vacating the property. Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Est6036 .

I only do STR with a maximum of three weeks.

How long do you have guests stay?
If long term rental  (LTR), then you may need to make a rule in your house rules mentioning expectations. I’d also be taking a screen shot of the mail and mark it “Does not live here - return to sender”. The screen shot is to document the mail movement for any future news or reference. 
Eg. The Airbnb address cannot be used for personal/business purposes. All unwarranted mail received, if not ours, is returned to sender.

In the past, I’ve had guests inquire if they can have mail or packages delivered to our address.

In all instances I’ve said no. 

This is NOT their residential address. 

In my house rules I have a broad statement: 

- No illegal activity or inappropriate anti-social behaviour

—-

BUT when I’ve been asked in advance about mail, this is my generic reply which can be altered to suit the occasion. “Xxxxx” is for the persons name.

“Good evening “Xxxxxxxx”.

I hope your day has gone well....

I’m sorry, but as part of my mitigation of risk, I need to ensure our residential address is not inappropriately used as a base for any commercial business registration, government or other financial transactions. Although this is not your reason for asking, I must stay true to our policy. All unwarranted mail received, if not ours, is returned to sender.

As an alternative, mail can be marked and addressed to the nearest post office for collection. (Poste Restante) However, I’m unsure of “Amazon policy for shipping, when your account address would clearly be at “xxxxxxxx”.“

Our nearest post office is “XXXXX” post code “XXXX”, approximately 2kms away; which offers a seven day service - although limited hours across a weekend.

“Blah, blah blah, (specific guests request.)

Sorry again “Xxxxxxxx”.

🙂

Cathie

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Est6036 Nothing illegal here that I can see. Just return the post to sender writing 'no longer at this address' on it. Worth subscribing to the credit agencies though to make sure your credit score is not damaged.

Well, to be perfectly honest I don't believe that it is legal to use someone else's addresse after you left the property. Also which right does the guest have to use my address for his bank affairs without running it by me.

I have sent a complaint to airbnb and they asked me to send them proof so I don't believe it is a straightforward as you believe it is. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Est6036 .

I only do STR with a maximum of three weeks.

How long do you have guests stay?
If long term rental  (LTR), then you may need to make a rule in your house rules mentioning expectations. I’d also be taking a screen shot of the mail and mark it “Does not live here - return to sender”. The screen shot is to document the mail movement for any future news or reference. 
Eg. The Airbnb address cannot be used for personal/business purposes. All unwarranted mail received, if not ours, is returned to sender.

In the past, I’ve had guests inquire if they can have mail or packages delivered to our address.

In all instances I’ve said no. 

This is NOT their residential address. 

In my house rules I have a broad statement: 

- No illegal activity or inappropriate anti-social behaviour

—-

BUT when I’ve been asked in advance about mail, this is my generic reply which can be altered to suit the occasion. “Xxxxx” is for the persons name.

“Good evening “Xxxxxxxx”.

I hope your day has gone well....

I’m sorry, but as part of my mitigation of risk, I need to ensure our residential address is not inappropriately used as a base for any commercial business registration, government or other financial transactions. Although this is not your reason for asking, I must stay true to our policy. All unwarranted mail received, if not ours, is returned to sender.

As an alternative, mail can be marked and addressed to the nearest post office for collection. (Poste Restante) However, I’m unsure of “Amazon policy for shipping, when your account address would clearly be at “xxxxxxxx”.“

Our nearest post office is “XXXXX” post code “XXXX”, approximately 2kms away; which offers a seven day service - although limited hours across a weekend.

“Blah, blah blah, (specific guests request.)

Sorry again “Xxxxxxxx”.

🙂

Cathie

Est6036
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Cathie19 .

This is absolutely perfect. I really love it. Thank you have so much I will be using this because I don't believe it is acceptable for them to use my address for their bank  or who knows what.

Thank you very much one more time.

@Est6036  as an aside, but still relevant, I also include in my house rules:

- No commercial operations/photo shoots/commercial filming or adult filming on site.

The police, other authorities, including Airbnb, will be contacted for your removal

Est6036
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 This is absolutely mesmerizing and extremely cool. Thank you ever so much for you kindness and for your help this will be included in my policy as soon as tomorrow morning.

How many rooms are you renting how many guests do you have per year if you don't mind me asking?

@Est6036 Our space is a self contained guest suite with two bedrooms, 1 bathroom and combined kitchen and living room space. It is alongside our swimming pool with plenty of tropical gardens surrounding it. We have a tourist season that is from around May to September. 

Most guests fly in from interstate or overseas. A few guests travel up (by personal vehicle) the Stuart Highway to Darwin, but most fly and rent a vehicle. 

Ooh, that's a tricky one, I'd never heard about it before! But I'll watch out!

Est6036
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I did not have this problem either until now but if it's something I don't really appreciate.