Guest wants refund for hot weather

Sue2078
Level 1
Carlsbad, CA

Guest wants refund for hot weather

Our guests left a day earlier because the weather was 80 degrees and our condo has no A/C.  Please note that our listing stated no A/C. My PM went to the store and bought a new fan which he dropped off the evening of their arrival. They complained to AirSupport that the condo was too hot to stay and wanted a partial refund. AirSupport told me that the refund is at the host’s discretion. They agreed that I was not responsible for the hot weather and my listing stated that there was no A/C. 

I have no doubt that the guests will leave a negative review. What would you have done in this situation?

4 Replies 4
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Sue2078 

If you have no doubt they will leave a negative review anyway, I don't think you need to refund them as you were honest in your listing and Airbnb agrees with you.

I assume there is a reason why you have not installed air conditioning, but perhaps consider alternatives to avoid a repeat complaint (portable aircon units, ceiling fans, etc). If you add these, be sure to list and photograph them clearly to negate any effects from the negative review.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There's no reason to refund . Your listing was as described. They can still leave a negative review even if you refund.  @Sue2078 

i live in a country that it rarely reaches into the 80s but have a tower fan in each bedroom and in the communal areas over the summer. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sue2078 Just leave a comment/reply to their review explaining the circumstances. Perhaps try to be less sarcastic in your response than you were for the mattress  review - It doesn't go down well with future potential guests.

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I would give a partial refund in this case as a gesture of goodwill.