Guest who cancel because of pet allergies - Looking for your opinion as a host

Answered!
David2189
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Guest who cancel because of pet allergies - Looking for your opinion as a host

I have a place where we allow pets in our house - My first line in my bio is "I love Dogs" and my profile pic is holding a Dog and it states that the place is pet friendly.

I always message the guest to let them know that the place is all set up and ready to go and to have them contact us when they get there to make sure everything is good as we are remote hosts. We get around 20% of people with pets and 80% of people without pets. 

Guests ended up checking in at 11pm and didn't message us and in the morning they sent a message stating that the house had pet hair and their son was allergic so they had to leave. I told them that we have cleaners each time to clean and I was there to clean as well as I was painting the attic. I told them we have a strict no refund policy and let them know I could send the cleaners back to clean and they rejected the offer. 

They were upset and then said the house was full of pet hair and now it smelled. 

We are superhosts which means you have to be pretty much perfect as you know with Airbnb's star rating system. We are upset because the cleaners and myself put a lot of time preparing for the guests. I started reading the posts in this community and its getting pretty obvious there is a ton of issues with their system and now we will get a bad review. 

What would you do in this scenario? 

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I have pretty bad allergies and so does my son, especially with cats.  I have found, outside of airbnb, that when I go into people homes, I can tell immediately if they have pets, no matter how clean the place is.  Dander is everywhere and unless you steam clean the entire place it will never be free of hair and dander.  As a host we started off allowing pets and after the first guest brought pets we changed our policy.  Pet hair EVERYWHERE.  We had to wash everything and it took forever...couch cushions, rugs, chair pillows, etc.  Just your basic vac, mop and dusting would never be enough for people with allergies.  That being said, they knew ahead of time this was a pet friendly place and they also knew their son had allergies, so they should have booked a place that didn't allow pets.   But to avoid this in the future, maybe you could put something in the listing: Allergy Sufferers Beware - Pet Friendly Location...we always do our best to have the place very clean before every guest arrives, but if you have sensitive allergies...etc"  Kinda like they do at restaurants that serve seafood.

View Best Answer in original post

47 Replies 47

Sadly enough our cat zaros died last november but when we wrote to guests when they wanted to book we said...we do have a very friendly house cat you will be sharing the house with. 

David2189
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Update - I think the guest left too nasty of a review so it didn't even post and it reflects the guests attitude of how they were so I'm glad the review wasn't posted. The house is completely booked for the summer but I think in the future I'm just going to have the settings to "Inquire" on each visit. This gives both parties the opportunity to answer each others questions before booking and spell out the scenario of the house. 

Airbnb has been a good source of side income and I can't stress enough about pre screening guests before they book because we all want a win win situation. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @David2189

I hope you take the time to read my accommodation description, the house rules and finally the sentence under the very first photo.

Regretfully not suitable for Nut allergies, food intolerances, allergies.

This as a result of a similar repeated experiences this August from a significant number of similar guests.....despite my personal profile clearly stating I love taking my adorable Dachshund for walks!

There are a lot of entitled prospective guests out there.....just do your self a favour and screen them out vigorously so they do NOT choose to stay with you.

Please go to YouTube and look for JP Sears How to become gluten intolerant.

Brilliant piece of parody regarding this type of entitled guest!😉