Guests Charging Electric Car Without Permission

Nicola-and-Donal0
Level 2
Killarney, Ireland

Guests Charging Electric Car Without Permission

Hello lovely community!

My first time on here.  We have a family staying in our apartment and as soon as they arrived yesterday they started charging their car.  it was plugged in for hours and possibly over night.  They are with us for 3 nights so I'm sure they'll be charging it every day.  We have nothing written down pertaining to charges for this so I guess i'll just let this one go, even though I feel it's super cheeky not to even ask!  My question is, can i build it into our rules that it's disallowed for future guests?  It's impossible to monitor if we allow it but charge for it.  They could be charging over night and we might not be aware or charging when we're not home.  How do other people manage this?  Thanks in advance!

92 Replies 92
Wendy329
Level 2
Bull Bay, United Kingdom

I’ve put on my air bnb page that we do not allow guests to use our domestic electric if they have ev cars. But suggest they use the Zap Map app as that shows all charging points on the island I live on. So I presume it’s a worldwide app?

Its working! We’ve still had guests with ev cars, and they all toddle off to the nearest point.

tbh I just don’t get it. Would you pull into a petrol station and sit there with the pump attached to your car for half an hour!!!???? So why do it with an ev!

Happened to me for the 1st time.

I'm not happy.

Going to turn off all the outside outlets.

Not like I go to your AirB&B and take the gas can from your shed and fill my car.

Giovanni1508
Level 1
Palm Bay, FL

What’s next? Charging people to use a hair drier or charger their phone? Plus, guests are already charged fees like crazy. The service fee. Taxes. Most hosts charge a “cleaning fee”. Rather than adding insult to injury, maybe just let someone charge their car? To fully charge an EV it costs about £5-£10 and I highly doubt the average guest would be able to run up your bill much more than something like keeping the A/C a bit colder than you’d like. Charging using a regular outlet (level 1 charging) is extremely slow and meant for topping off the battery here and there, not sucking down a full charge in a matter of hours. Charging a bunch of fees left and right is the easiest way to make a potential guest skip over your property and go elsewhere that’s all inclusive and with less nickel and dimming. Alternatively, add £2 a day to your listing rate and be done with it. You and your guests will get what you think you’re entitled to.