Guests can see exact address during FREE Cancellation

Guests can see exact address during FREE Cancellation

Hi everyone

I just came across this little hidden check-box. Guests have access to your info  (exact address) during the Cancellation period. It is unchecked by default. Personally i don't want guests having the exact address if they cancel their booking.

If you want to change the setting you can find it under "Location" when you "Edit your Listing"

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 2.46.15 PM.png

17 Replies 17
Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Wow! Thanks so much for pointing this out! I’ve gone in and checked the box so my info isn’t available during the free cancellation period. That detail really leaves hosts vulnerable to scammers 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Just checked it, thank you!!  This makes us much more in control of our privacy, especially when we rent out a spare room in our own home.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Wow, I had no idea about this! But if you have a flexible cancellation policy (which I do) it does mean that guests won't be able to see your address or phone number until the day before which might be tricky for some people if they don't have internet connection...

@Kath9  On a flexible or moderate policy they get the address as soon as the booking is confirmed. On the Strict policy with a 48 hour grace period you can request that it is not given until that timeframe is up. They then get the address after 48 hours if they have not canceled. 

Oh OK. Thanks @Letti0. But it seems I could still check that box...? Anyway, the flexible policy is 48 hours so as long as they get the address 48 hours before, that should be OK.

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Thanks, I have updated my listing. If guests don't need the exact location before they book they don't need it to cancel. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much @Cristina-And-Daniel0 for sharing this further. It is great to hear that you are finding this helpful, along with @Kath9@Andrew157@Letti0@Helen56@Ali40

I just want to add that we have to thank the community here in the CC for this feature being introduced. Due to the feedback given by hosts here recently in the CC, regarding the changes to the Strict Cancellation Policy, the Product Team introduced this feature. 🙂 

Thanks again.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Np.

@Lizzie Speaking of cancellation policy, it would so wonderful if Airbnb can modify their Cancellation options. Many hosts find the "Strict" option too strict and the Moderate option (full refund prior to 5 days of reservation) too lenient. We really need a middle ground. 

I think guests are turned off with "Strict" and less like to book if we have a strict policy, but it would be hard to re-book the dates with only 5 days notice. 

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Cristina-And-Daniel0

Hats off to Christina and Daniel.

The reason I find this forum so valuable.

I just checked my box.  No peeking now! Lol

Thanks.

Thank you so much for that!  We had no idea.  Amazing Airbnb leaves it UNCHECKED by default and doesn't bother to notify us of it.

Thanks for the heads up!!! the Q&A didnt answer this question and actually... we need most HOST oriented materials!

Tomi5
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Thank you @Cristina-And-Daniel0!!!! I would have NEVER found that! I love our host community and that we have each other's back!

Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

@Cristina-And-Daniel0

I just checked the box after reading your post.

I'm not thrilled that Airbnb is willing to compromise our safety without our permission. The default should be no location shown until the guest has paid.

Thanks for helping us.

Thanks for posting this, not knowing that this checkbox even existed.  I searched after a guest canceled within the 48hr cancelation period sharing my address with her daughter that lives locally looking to do a cash transaction.

Very risky default setting fortunately we have a locked gate it was very disconcerning to see someone standing in front of our property seemingly waiting for someone who turned out to be us.

In NYC it is against the regulations to have self checkin, imagine if they had the self checkin details and then canceled?  I hope hosts that do have self checkin have something that would prevent access in situations like this.