Guests canceled reservation after their checkout

Muslim4
Level 8
Almaty, Kazakhstan

Guests canceled reservation after their checkout

Today a few hours my guests left - Airbnb canceled their reservation. I immediately contacted the support and they told me they canceled it 'due to Guest complaint that the listing was messy/dirty'. That was the first cancellation ever for me and the guests already left the apartment. I always ask my guests if everything was okay before and during their stay. They didn't have any complaints at all.

So, I have a very serious question to Airbnb: why is that happening? Why is there this kind of option for guests that allows them to rent someone's else's property and live there for free? 

I don't think that cancellation after a guest already left a property makes sense at all unless it's an emergency or something extraordinary. I think that's totally unreasonable because it's a good way for scammers/fraudsters (or I don't know how to call them) of all kind to rent a property and after they left ask for a refund using any fake reason like 'dirty listing' or anything else. It means that any guest can do that to live for free.   

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Muslim4 I would call/message Airbnb and point out that the guest is supposed to give the host a chance to remedy a cleaning issue. Suggest to them that you will take them to the small claims court if they do not reinstate your payment.

Muslim4
Level 8
Almaty, Kazakhstan

I also think that if a guest have a complaint after they left, the reason for cancellation should be VERY SERIOUS. It should be adequate enough because they already used the services a host provided them with. Otherwise, it means guests can do anything they want. They accidentally found a 'dirty towel' or 'stain on pillowcase' - and that's all - they complain that the entire property was dirty and they want a full refund.