Guests help themselves to more than intended

Answered!
Jacqueline58
Level 2
Gainesville, FL

Guests help themselves to more than intended

I rent a whole cabin, provide my guests with organic, fair trade coffee ($12/lb) and a variety of teas. I also offer a variety of 3 different kinds of face soap.

The last guest didn't stay long enough to drink a pound of coffee but took the whole pound when she left. She also took all the soaps and all the teas.  Has tis happened to you and do you have any suggestions how to avoid guests walking off with more than their "share"?

1 Best Answer
Tim330
Level 2
Plettenberg, Germany

i think to avoid this isse of the guests helping themself while checking out we should just put enough for

the days they are in,becouse to some guest they will think that the whole pack is theirs and thats why some guest take the remaing one when they are checking out.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Dawn162
Level 4
Eustis, FL

How do you handle guest who help themself to your own personal food?  I can't believe someone would assume that if it is in the house they can eat it..  But that has just happened.

Takes all kinds, @Dawn162. My guests have never done that so far, even though they have full use of my kitchen. One approach to mitigate this might be to have a designated shelf or drawer in the kitchen for guests, and a section of the fridge that you point out to them when they arrive. "So this drawer is yours to keep any dry goods you might have or buy, and this section of the fridge is for your food items" kind of thing. Hopefully they'd get the hint. 

I also tell my guests (none of whom usually stay for more than a week-10 days) that they are welcome to use my bottle of cooking oil and the salt and pepper as I can see where they might not want to have to buy a whole bottle of oil or bag of salt for a few meals.

There are also hosts who provide a small food basket for their guests on arrival with some crackers, cheese, some fruit or whatever. Obviously their pricing would factor this in, though it's not mentioned beforehand, just a nice unexpected welcome gift. Then you can say "As I'm sure you know from reading my listing, I don't provide food, but here's a little something to tide you over until you get to the store", and then tell them where the nearest store is.

Or if all the above fails, my style would be "Hey guys, that's MY food!" (more or less what I say to my dog if she tries to beg at the dinner table)

hi friend

I am from Nepal and I needs to coordinate with you to exchange the volunteer to you with us. 

@Sarah0  Unfortunately I have done all of this.  I'm hoping it is just this one person.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I'm amazed. I provide coffee but it hardly gets used at all. Maybe because of the proximity to maybe 10 outstanding coffee shops? I do go through a fair bit of tea, have a whole cupboard full of various boxes. Don't think they walk, they might, how would I know unless they cleared me out? Label on cupboard says More Teaas there is a box of ordinary tea too big to fit in the cupboard as well. as there is a box of ordinary tea too big to fit in the cupboard as well.tea detail.jpg

@Sandra126wrote:

I'm amazed. I provide coffee but it hardly gets used at all. Maybe because of the proximity to maybe 10 outstanding coffee shops? I do go through a fair bit of tea, have a whole cupboard full of various boxes. Don't think they walk, they might, how would I know unless they cleared me out? Label on cupboard says More Teaas there is a box of ordinary tea too big to fit in the cupboard as well. as there is a box of ordinary tea too big to fit in the cupboard as well.tea detail.jpg

I absolutely love your cupboard.  I wish I had room for one.