Guests left citing room too small but we think it’s because we are a same sex couple

Answered!
Caroline2885
Level 2
Fort Frances, Canada

Guests left citing room too small but we think it’s because we are a same sex couple

We host a second home at our lake property and have had very happy guests until today. A family arrived and within 5 minutes advised they were leaving as the space was not big enough. We are a same sex couple and fly the Pride flag and both feel they may have left because of our lifestyle. Should we offer a partial refund? Our pictures and description were from last year and we have improved the space over the winter.  We just became super hosts and are concerned about a negative review.

1 Best Answer
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Caroline2885 If you fly the Pride flag, then you are proud of who you are, and comfortable with who you are, as you should be. 

If the guests left because of that, then it's their problem. Offering a refund because of what you suspect is the source of the problem, is the antithesis of Pride. Why would you compromise yourself/selves in that way for a review? 

I had political signs up for the 2020 election cycle, and will again this year. I simply included the signs in the pics in my listing, right there for every potential guest to see. If they missed it, that's on them. 

Be who you are, love yourself, and let others who feel differently live their own small judgmental lives. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Caroline2885  No refunds if your listing is accurate in pics and square footage.  

If they left becuase of your lifestyle that is unfortunate.  Although,  in business it's always best to remain neutral and maybe flying the pride flag is not the best idea.  People are so easily offended these days and some have very myopic views.  

If they did not stay they can't leave you a review. If they do leave a review you can take it up with Airbnb. 

Karen
Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Karen114  Just to let you know, the guest CAN leave a review even if they did not stay. They checked in so Airbnb will argue that their review is their experience and unless it goes against the review policy, they most definitely CAN review. Been there, done that!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Caroline2885 If you fly the Pride flag, then you are proud of who you are, and comfortable with who you are, as you should be. 

If the guests left because of that, then it's their problem. Offering a refund because of what you suspect is the source of the problem, is the antithesis of Pride. Why would you compromise yourself/selves in that way for a review? 

I had political signs up for the 2020 election cycle, and will again this year. I simply included the signs in the pics in my listing, right there for every potential guest to see. If they missed it, that's on them. 

Be who you are, love yourself, and let others who feel differently live their own small judgmental lives. 

@Kia272 Thank you for the reply and your kind words. We do have the Pride flag in a picture but there was no wind when it was taken and it’s not recognizable as such. I will take another when it is clear and add to our pictures. 

Thanks to everyone else for their answers, it is much appreciated.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Caroline2885 It is very hard to tell from your pictures but, to me, your cabin looks like it would fit 3 guests (4 very small people max.) How big was this family? Could it be that it was just, in fact, too small?

@Emilia42 Thanks for the reply. We have had a family of 5 in it and regularly have 4 in our rental without any issues so I don't think it is that. I did speak with Air BnB yesterday and was advised that the guest can leave a review but it can be removed if we notify them the guests didn’t actually stay. So we will see what happens and if they even leave a review.