Guests lighting fireworks and made a fire in the driveway.

Ricardo1657
Level 2
High Rolls, NM

Guests lighting fireworks and made a fire in the driveway.

Our guesthome is located within a national forest.  This evening my wife received a call from our neighbor that our guests had a fire in the gravel driveway and were lighting arial fireworks.  Thankfully no damaging fires were started.  I don't specify a no firework rule or a rule that no fires can be started.  All national forests don't allow fireworks, you'd think people would know that.   In the listing I have instructions for using the firepit table.  We do have firepits in areas around the property, if they wanted a real fire they could have asked.  Aside from stating it directly in the listing what else is recommended.  You'd think common sense is something people would use.

4 Replies 4
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

@Ricardo1657 ,

Considering the sensitive nature of the area where your property is situated, amid a forest, I strongly suggest implementing a restriction on making fires outside designated areas or fire pits on and around the property. Additionally, it's crucial to have a fire extinguisher visibly located to emphasize the hazard. Consider adding additional signs to enforce the fire restriction.

Are there any other laws and regulations regarding fire that your guests must know about? Ensure they are included in your house manual and property description.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hopefully by now you've been in touch to remind the guest  they are not allowed to set off fireworks or have fires outside of the designated areas . Ask them to confirm in writing this will not happen again.

I'm surprised as your location in a national forest you don't have specific house rules around this.  @Ricardo1657 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ricardo1657 What a situation!

Did you have the opportunity to talk with your guest as Helen suggested?

It's also a great idea to include any laws and regulations regarding fire that your guests must know in the house manual and property description, as suggested by Guy.

Keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ricardo1657  People are ______, especially when on vacation.  

If the Park has a brochure or website that has a listing of visitor rules, send that information to the guest prior to arrival, and have copies posted or available on your coffee table.  This does not mean that the guest will read any of it, but you will have made it available.

I would remove all firepits with the exception of a patio based firepit table.  

We also have fire pits.  During certain times of the year, the Fire Marshall will declare a burn ban.  When this occurs, I leave a table top sign in the property stating that a burn ban is in effect and the URL of the Fire Marshall website.   Intelligent guests have complied.