Guests that request small events

Narelle28
Level 2
Mylor, Australia

Guests that request small events

We receive a lot of requests for small gatherings such as birthdays, bridal showers and baby showers, but have never accepted one. What do other hosts do? If they are requesting a small gathering of 15 people or so for a low key lunch, do others here accept those booking requests? would it be reasonable to ask an extra fee and if so, for how much? thanks

3 Replies 3

Hi @Narelle28 

It really depends on how much risk you are willing to assume with larger groups.  If you decide you want to allow them, some things to consider:

- Not allow one night stays (looks like you don't)

- Consider if your Short Term Rental Insurance has limitations on total number of persons on property and if alcohol is allowed

- Don't use Instant Book

- Be sure you have security cameras to monitor

- Consider your neighbors if they plan on an outside celebration (noise monitors?)

- Allow only PRE-APPROVED day visitiors

- I have seen $10-$25 fee per addl visitor (addl fee applies to children visitors might bring)

- Consider if you want to add an extra cleaning fee to these events 

- Stipulate visitors are not allowed to bring pets

- Stipulate day visitors must leave property by a certain time (I have seen 9PM)

- Consider if you have enough parking space for addl visitors. If not explain where they may park.

- Consider if you have provided enough extra supplies for addl visitors (TP, paper towels, etc.)

- Consider how to handle addl trash that is usually generated by these events

- Stipulate if you want to allow decorations to be put up inside or outside (damage to interior walls, outdoor fences etc.)

- Stipulate if you want to allow celebration items like glitter (a nightmare to cleanup), silly string, balloons (danger to wildlife if ingested), outdoor structures (like tents, inflatable bounce structures, etc.)

You could also require the primary renter to add ALL guest names to the reservation and require ID for all guests. This might deter any potential "partiers" who say they are only have a small event which turns out to be a free-for-all disaster.

All the above restrictions should be added to your Addl Rules section under House Rules on the listing and I would add all this info to a guest message and ask them to agree to it. 

@Joan2709 Thank you for your comprehensive message. You've brought up things I've not thought about yet. Much appreciated

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Narelle28   We do not accept these requests.  As an income producing property, and not "grandma's house big enough for the family party" we have to adhere to local regulations and zoning, and we do not wish to be labeled as a VENUE, which falls under strict guidelines as to the number of persons that can be on the property, Fire Marshall rules and food preparation laws.