Guests using my address to open bank accounts

Gordon58
Level 3
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Guests using my address to open bank accounts

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who may have been in this situation.

I have two students from Kazahkstan staying with me. They are studying at Glasgow University until December and booked to stay at my place for the whole of September

They appear to have opened bank accounts and have used my address for mail to be sent. I received a couple of letters for them today.

However, they didn't ask if they could use my address. Had they asked, I would have said no.

I would have thought the university would have a set-up to deal with this type of situation – perhaps the university being used as a postal address.

It could all be fairly innocent and I appreciate the difficulties young people from countries as far away as the likes of Kazakhstan have.

However, I have concerns about fraud and my address being used for other purposes.

What do people think? What should I do with the mail (the guests are currently out and don't know it has arrived)? Return it to the bank? Should I contact the university? The bank?

Additionally, they mentioned last night that they want to cut short their stay as they feel my place is too far away from the university.

I called Airbnb support but they weren't much help – and said I might want to speak to a lawyer! That might cost a bit...

106 Replies 106
Grahame6
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

We had the same situation very recently. Guest saying that they had come from Hong Kong on holiday for 28 nights and no sooner had they arrived when bank cards arrived through our post for them. We discussed it with the bank who said that you can only get an account with proof of a physical address that occupied being rental or owner. 

Card returned to bank and guest asked to leave through Airbnb resolution center.

Grahame6
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

Ps. Police mentioned that there has been an increase in this type of fraud. Please be aware of scams 

Dear sir, I have the same problem with your guests.

I need that  so us to find a job. This is because the employee asks you to open an account with an address in UK.

This is for European citizens in immigration status.

@Gordon58 @Grahame6 and all hosts above, indeed, the encroachment of the Chinese communist had caused many HongKongers like myself to flee that former colony of the UK. It pains me to read this thread but I/we meant no harm. Before reading, I would have thought that Airbnb is a form of rental, I'm particularly shocked to read that the police had categorized it as a "fraud" to use the address otherwise.

Please enlighten me, hosts, I am about to emigrate to the UK and I want to be banked and find a job, is it a wrong pick to start with Airbnb? Should I cancel my booking now? Should I enter some form of tenancy agreement with my host? Please leave a comment. I'm a bit unsettled right now

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Drake17 

No, it's not wrong to start with an Airbnb when you are relocating. I have hosted many, many guests who  booked my place because it is so difficult to find a long term rental unless you are already in London and able to go to viewings etc.

However, an Airbnb is NOT the same as a regular tenancy. Think of it is your temporary home until you find a more permanent residence.

NEVER, EVER give out the host's address to any third party and, especially not for anything official such as for bank accounts, credit cards, social security (national insurance), immigration purposes etc. etc. without the host's express permission. By permission, I mean you ask IN ADVANCE of giving out the address, not after the deed is done.

When you book an Airbnb, you are paying for temporary accommodation, whether that's for days, weeks, or even months. You are not a resident. Therefore, you do not have the right to communicate to others in any way that it is your residence.

Thanks @Huma0 ... but that's bad news for me. I'm afraid that I'm back to square one to look for a place to live in. I thought I could stay in an Airbnb for months, not realizing that it would leave me unbanked and unemployed indefinitely. Lucky that I have read this up

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Drake17 

You might find a long term host who is happy for you to use the address for these purposes, given that you are staying for months. The important thing is to ask FIRST, not to just assume that it is okay.

Also, if the answer is no, that doesn't mean you will be unbanked and unemployed. As I mentioned, I've had many, many long term guests stay with me as their first home when relocating here and the majority found employment while still staying here. They didn't need to use my address for banking or to find work (and I am talking about legal jobs, not under the counter, cash in hand).

One guest stayed with me for 10.5 months, worked most of this time, completed a visa application and a PhD application and NEVER had any mail registered at my address, so there are clearly alternative ways to manage it.

@Huma0wow! that's interesting! Did your guest borrow a friend's address? I can't think of a way otherwise

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Drake17 

I am not sure to be honest. She only asked to use the address for food deliveries and didn't receive any official mail here.

I would have to ask her. We are still in touch, so I'll update you once I know.

@Hum0trillion thanks!

Tania128
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi dear! I had a similar situacion bifore, i returnd the ltters to the banck i put wrong adress on it, i said to the estudent after all that he was not alow to use my adress for any other perpose than to stay!

Nora1014
Level 2
Garland, TX

My take is that the only reason why students are willing to pay for long stays at Airbns at outrageous prices that benefit landlords is that the UK does not allow internatioal students to open bank accounts without a UK address and real state markets wouldn't allow  students to rent a  flat wihout Uk Bank.  I assume it is a despertate call to use the address for a temporary use and within few days of opening bank account and acquring a flat will automatically update address. PO box do not work. If they are staying there why not let them use the address in which they are residing to obtian their mail? it benefits your pockets and their well being. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Students can absolutely rent UK long term rentals without having a UK bank accountant. Where did you get the idea that they can't @Nora1014 ? I have students in my long term rental. I don't care whether their bank account is in the UK or abroad (it's actually a Spanish account).

I wouldn't let long term guests use my STR address for banking/deliveries etc as it could be used fraudulently.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nora1014 

I believe @Helen3 is correct. I had some German students stay with me a few months ago while they were looking for a long term apartment here. They definitely did not have UK bank accounts, but that wasn't a problem. 

What tends to be more of an issue is not having prior references from UK landlords. I have had several people tell me that, without these, they are required to pay six (or even sometimes twelve) months' rent in advance. I have an upcoming guest who is a Russian student and is using airbnbs precisely for that reason as he can't afford to make such a large lump payment.

Another major reason is that a lot of the international students are here for a few months, rather than years. It's pretty much impossible for them to get a regular rental which normally require a year-long lease.

Also, not all airbnbs are exorbitantly priced. When you factor in bills, council tax (which some students still have to contribute to depending on who else they are living with), having to buy your own toilet paper, cleaning supplies etc., having to buy sheets, towels, all kitchenware (most long term rentals here do not come with those things), and having to pay a hefty deposit, an airbnb can start to look like good value. Plus the rental market here is insanely competitive. International students are a huge chunk of my market and the majority seem to think they are paying a fair price.