Guests using my address to open bank accounts

Gordon58
Level 3
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Guests using my address to open bank accounts

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who may have been in this situation.

I have two students from Kazahkstan staying with me. They are studying at Glasgow University until December and booked to stay at my place for the whole of September

They appear to have opened bank accounts and have used my address for mail to be sent. I received a couple of letters for them today.

However, they didn't ask if they could use my address. Had they asked, I would have said no.

I would have thought the university would have a set-up to deal with this type of situation – perhaps the university being used as a postal address.

It could all be fairly innocent and I appreciate the difficulties young people from countries as far away as the likes of Kazakhstan have.

However, I have concerns about fraud and my address being used for other purposes.

What do people think? What should I do with the mail (the guests are currently out and don't know it has arrived)? Return it to the bank? Should I contact the university? The bank?

Additionally, they mentioned last night that they want to cut short their stay as they feel my place is too far away from the university.

I called Airbnb support but they weren't much help – and said I might want to speak to a lawyer! That might cost a bit...

106 Replies 106
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Again it’s a difference in cultural perception between our countries.p despite sharing a common language.

The offensive word appears to be **bleep**.

as to **bleep** in the bud.....meaning stop whatever it is, immediately!

A further difference in culture as I am wryly smiling at this use of the word **bleep**, whereas you are inadvertently taking what appears to be a defensive stance.

Regarding the weapons, substances etc here in the U.K when posting a packet at the post office, the assistant routinely asks what is in the packet and whether it is prohibited substances etc.

Regarding weapons in your part of the world it appears to be enshrined in your rights, here in the U.K. carrying a weapon usually results in a free “holiday”, in one of her majesty’s prison cells....again differences in culture.

What you may regard in your culture, as having fun and having a good time ( especially in someone’s family home) is somewhat different in our culture.

We may speak the same language but culturally we are poles apart, but it’s what makes it all so interesting, otherwise we would be automatons.

My suggestion if you want to have fun and a good time,book yourselves a holiday at Butlins or Club 18-30 or better still try Blackpool 

**bleep**

@Victoria567, is it a verb?  Pretty sure, but just checking...

*)

Kim
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Kimberly54

Spell out the word SNIP.

Remove the S

Hi @Victoria567,  I can't imagine why, but pretty sure I got caught by a censor..

I didn't say anything bad--it was probably 'smile and hug.'  Yep, that would work!

Weird.  Thanks for the response.  I'm going to try to find @Lizzie, if I can. 

What's wrong with this **bleeping** system???

:-)))

Kim
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

The item of clothing that you from across the pond, refer to as a fanny pack has us Brits in stitches.

want to see if Fanny pack is censored.

It’s not censored......hilarious!

the F word.......hilarious!

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Kimberly54

The phrase is “Snip in the bud “

Now remove the S from Snip

@Kimberly54  It's funny that on the HA/VRBO forum the word circle is bleeped because it also references a sexual act believe it or not, I had to look that one up. Yet on AirBnB they have a forum area called the Hosts Circle lol...None of it makes sense if you ask me ;D So on HA/VRBO forum you need to put the word in a response or post as "ci r cle" for it to get through the senors. Ridiculous. 

@Letti0, now that I read your post, I've seen people occasionally do this before.  What amazes me is that such an innocent word can get caught like this.  I can not even imagine how n- ip could possibly be used in ANY kind of vulgar or offensive way.  Even 'nipple' didn't get caught, and you could have a field-day with that one without even trying!

Sheesh.  I'm going to go outside and see if I can spot any giraffes, or see if my swan has beaten up more skunks.  (Haha... that last bit actually did happen 3 nights ago--and she didn't get caught in the spray!)

It's a wild world out there.  Gotta be careful!

*)

Kim

@Victoria567, just to be clear, **bleep** was never my word.  It was '**bleep**,' which also means to cut or stop.  Not vulgar.

The silly comments about explosives and weapons, etc., were just silly--and completleyl unrelated to chips in teacups.

Please forgive me if I have offended you.

Best,

Kim
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Kimberly0 

you certainly have not offended me in any shape form or fashion.

Ive never had such a good belly laugh in ages about the mine field Regarding our different cultures and the possible inadvertent gaffes that I perhaps also may cause you.

Big hug to you Kimberly 

OK, @Victoria567,  this is a test (let's see how this goes):

The giraffes in my backyard (20 miles away--need to update my site) both **bleep** and snip at new guests.

How they do **bleep**!  And snip! 

How dare they?? (I mean the guests, of course!) 😉

Let's see how this passes...  Thanks for being such a sport!

Giraffe hugs to you!

Kim
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Kimberly54

I had to send you this

SCOTTISH/BRITISH AND AMERICAN WORD DIFFERENCES!
Erin12,927 views

@Victoria567, OKAY, this is really funny.  I keep trying to type '**bleep**' (like 'cut') and I'm still getting censored to **bleep**.  I am NOT making this up--it's **bleeping** crazy!

I did NOT type **bleep** in the post above.  Swear to **bleeping** GOD.

?????????

Kim