Guests who book the minimum number of guests and show up with 10+ more people than originally booked.

Answered!

Guests who book the minimum number of guests and show up with 10+ more people than originally booked.

We are having complete issues with our full home booking.  Guests are booking the minimum number of people then showing up with more than on their reservation and failing to respond to our messaging or phone calls.  We provide breakfast with guest stays - this is so unbelievably irresponsible on guests part with no recourse for hosts (other than a trip change request and host cancellation fee).  Is this a standard ongoing issue with most on Airbnb?  This is our first summer hosting our whole home and not just rooms.  So far it has been a complete disaster due to unresponsive guests.

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Dear @Elizabeth2270 🌿

I just gave the exact same advice yesterday to another host with the same issue. It is crucial to write in the house rules that only registered guests are allowed on the premises - that all guests must be included in the booking. Otherwise it will happen again and again and again - and it is just awkward for you and the guests. You need to have very clear written house rules on your listings and what I do is I include the house rules in the end of the thank you for the reservation message and then again in the direction guide they receive prior to arrival. Search for house rules in this community and you will find a list of the most used but also very important to have house rules. 
Best, Sandra

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Dear @Elizabeth2270 🌿

I just gave the exact same advice yesterday to another host with the same issue. It is crucial to write in the house rules that only registered guests are allowed on the premises - that all guests must be included in the booking. Otherwise it will happen again and again and again - and it is just awkward for you and the guests. You need to have very clear written house rules on your listings and what I do is I include the house rules in the end of the thank you for the reservation message and then again in the direction guide they receive prior to arrival. Search for house rules in this community and you will find a list of the most used but also very important to have house rules. 
Best, Sandra

Sandra,

Thank you for your input!  Our listings come from our booking engine and I cannot even find where I could insert the house rules.  I may have to put them with a response to the booking possibly on Air Bnb.  I normally have guests sign the house rules when they arrive - but that is definitely changing.  The guests who stayed, were actually very compliant once I got AirBnb involved and they told me to ask for a trip adjustment notating the additional guests.  Breakfast was also involved so I guess it was no brainer for them.  It did teach me a lesson - we will no longer include breakfast with our stays - too many will take advantage and want to change the numbers (2) days out (which makes it pretty difficult for a small remote property and food service).  I will look again at the recommendations from AirBnb.

Regards,

Liz

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Elizabeth2270 The biggest issues have always been undisclosed overnight guests and visitors and excessive cleaning. With the new strict licensing requirements in my jurisdiction , fines, and 3 strikes you’re out rule, I had to just “dumb it down” so there is no way to misinterpret.

I get a lot of instant bookings that  immediately cancel when they get my booking message, however, if they cancel right away it’s because they clearly intended to have more than 4 guests. 

btw- we did away with the 2 guest nightly fee and then additional fees for guests 3 & 4. It just didn’t work for us. Guests always picked 2 and brought 4 or more. 

you can check out my listing and rules here and use what you think will help. 

https://airbnb.com/h/coppercoveredbridge 

Dawn,

Thanks ....I think that is sage advice!  Thanks.