Have you ever had someone ask for a specific type of sheets?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Have you ever had someone ask for a specific type of sheets?

I.e., sheets made of 100% cotton or a certain thread count? In the last 2 months I have had 3 such inquiries. 

We have those bamboo fiber sheets which are supposed to be cooling and hypoallergenic. No one complained or asked....until recently. I actually quite like the sheets we have.

20 Replies 20

@Laura2592 
I just find it weird, and fascinating, that you have so many people ‘interacting’ with you by way of questions and requests. I get maybe 1 message per month from a potential guest, even in the busy season. All others are instant bookings which are said and done. 

@Emilia42 consider yourself lucky.

Since the day we opened our doors we have had a stream of communication. Tons of questions/concerns/comments. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  There must be something on your listing that only guests can see, that is invisible to everyone else, that says "Ask us the weirdest questions and make the most entitled requests you  can think of". 🙂

Actually, I don't find the sheets question that odd. So many people use microfibre sheets these days, that I would be inclined to ask as well- I would hate to sleep on those. And as Kitty pointed out, most bamboo fabric is actually rayon- which is fabric that uses cellulose from trees or bamboo, or even hemp- i.e. natural fibres, but uses a chemical process to create which is, in fact, toxic to the environment.

So a serious and informed environmentalist might not even want bamboo sheets.

It also occurs to me that because you make a point of disclosing in your listing that you use scented cleaning products, guests might be wary that you also use synthetic sheets. In other words, that you aren't concerned with using natural products. Hence 3 people asking.

@Sarah977 good to know! It definitely could be people who are environmentally aware asking. Its just the first time anyone has wanted to know this in the past few years, and there were a few along the same lines. Sometimes I think there must be something on TV or social media that raises awareness of a certain issue because I will suddenly get questions out of left field about the same thing. 

@Laura2592 @Sarah977 

If I am concerned about fabric content of bedding I will bring my own. If I am traveling internationally or backpacking, I carry a "bedsack" which is silk and is like an envelope to sleep in. It takes up very little space in a daypack. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

I've not had any guest inquire about the sheets, and wouldn't expect so at the price point of my listings.  I'd probably fall over laughing if a guest who's paying $65-75 p/n were to ask me about the thread count, but would seriously answer someone that inquired about the type of fiber, because I know that some people have sensitivities and allergies.  We use lightweight sheets year round in St. Lucia, and heavier weight sheets during the cooler months in Atlanta.  Laundry soda and vinegar is used to clean and soften linens.