Have you ever had someone ask for a specific type of sheets?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Have you ever had someone ask for a specific type of sheets?

I.e., sheets made of 100% cotton or a certain thread count? In the last 2 months I have had 3 such inquiries. 

We have those bamboo fiber sheets which are supposed to be cooling and hypoallergenic. No one complained or asked....until recently. I actually quite like the sheets we have.

20 Replies 20

@Laura2592 

We use high thread count 100% natural fiber bed linens. Bamboo is rayon. It is lovely! I have many sets of bamboo rayon sheets, as well as quality cottons. I have sensitive skin and do not use or wear any synthetics for myself. I will not provide anything for my guests that I would not use for myself. That includes all linens, soaps, shampoos, etc. which are fragrance free and sulfate free. My laundry detergent is also fragrance and sulfate free. This is not only for the health of the fabrics but also for our septic system. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Laura2592 We had one guest who wanted two twin comforters on the queen bed [we said no], and tried to get them to cancel, but they didn't; as expected we got 4 stars, it was hot in August, AC was too loud, etc. etc.

I can see I guess asking about cotton sheets, but thread count?  Hard pass. 

@Mark116 

I understand the 2 twin comforters. One person needs more covers than the other, and they prefer not to fight all night over the covers. We can do that and would. If a couple needs to sleep separately, we will accommodate that, we have excellent quality futon  - for the floor - as well as a sleeper sofa. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0  Sure I understand it, but why would anyone think we would have extra twin comforters lying around to use for a queen sized bed when the sizes of beds in the unit are queen and full?  And, if we had used 2 random un-matching twin comforters it would have looked terrible.

@Mark116 

We have twin/full futons for our own use, for surgery recovery or health needs. We have them also for the person who cannot sleep with someone else yet falls within our guest limit. We definitely keep extra twin/full size comforters or two in the linens closet. For us that is full service professional hospitality. When we have a family staying; for example: parents and two teens who do not all sleep together in one bed, we bring out the futons. EG Parents sleep together in the King bed, one teen sleeps on the sofa bed, and the other on the futon. We learned to have these options available after our very first guests years ago.

@Helen744  Hi  @Kitty-and-Creek0 Kitty and Creek People sometimes just ask for something they use themselves but in this particular case I am sure two of the type of throws that many people use would be sufficient . Maybe they mistook you for a hotel . Just say we can supply some extra bedding . What they do with it is up to themselves no need to put it on the beds Not worth losing the guests for reasons that may evaporate when they arrive.I worry sometimes that in seasonal linen changeovers especially to summer linens that guests will be cold so add extra quilts just in case.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 I use bamboo as well, at home and some in Airbnb as well (some are cotton). No one has complained or asked for a specific type. 
Are these guests asking for something specific ahead of booking, or once installed? 

@Colleen253 2 asked before booking. One is an allergic/sensitive guest who needed a number of other accommodations that would not be possible for us to provide and decided not to book. One booked and will bring their own sheets. The third is a return guest who has stayed a few times so im puzzled over that. But that guest seems to stay in a lot of Airbnbs and maybe they get mixed up. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura2592  I haven't had that and probably wouldn't do it myself even though I'm a self-described sheet freak.  I think I mention luxurious linens or some such in my listing and guests occasionally comment on them in reviews.  At one Airbnb recently, I thought to myself, this place is not getting 5 stars unless the sheets are cotton.  Luckily they were, but all things being equal, if the rest of the place had been lovely and chic like @Colleen253's listing or yours, I would never have had that thought in the first place.

Thread count used to mean something before it became a marketing tool used by cheap manufacturers using cheap cotton with a short staple that required more threads per square inch than good long-staple cotton.  

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Laura2592 nope. I think your guests and mine must be different species.

@Lisa723 maybe I attract visitors from another planet lol. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura2592 out of curiosity how many inquiries on average do you get a week? 

@Emilia42 good question! 2 to 10? Depends on the time of year. It's not all "inquiries" though. Its often people wanting dates that aren't available or for us to open the calendar farther into the future. Lots of questions about bringing pets/fees/restrictions. And sometimes requests or questions through social media and not ABB directly. There isn't a week that goes by that we don't have some kind of question. 

We also have an average of 2 stays per week-- one during the week and one weekend stay. So questions come from those too.

We just opened. Our first guest came Nov. 27. I've been shocked by the response. We live in a small town with at least 20 other BnBs, but we've had three guest (6 nights) already, and we have seven more nights booked by the end if the month. I never expected this much traffic.

Sam
The Historic Mountain View