Help!! Guest going through my trash and doesn’t leave!

Help!! Guest going through my trash and doesn’t leave!

I had this guest book a room  in my home for three months. He is 74 years old and hasn’t moved his car in 3.5 weeks. He only rides his bike to church to and to the store. He sits on my couch and reads his bible all the time. He has been doing some yard work. He requested to do this as this is a hobby. He had started going through ALL the trash. He said he will be pulling out all the recycling. My children told me he yelled, hit and put my dog in my garage. He did this because he walked by the table.  He is taking up two shelves up in my fridge, a shelf in my pantry, his bike is on my patio, and his things are left on my patio table. I guess I didn’t feel the need to put NO going through my trash in my rules. 

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I do not see a listing and your profile is so skimpy I wonder if you are a host.  Basically if you have a problem with a tenant, not a short term rental guest, you need advice from a landlord/tenant attorney.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well, it is a long-term guest, so still a guest (although he might have tenants rights depending on what the laws are where @Traci120 lives). I've had many guests who stay three months or more.

@Traci120most of the things you mention are annoying, but if they are not specifically against your rules, then they are just that. Yes, going through the trash is weird, but maybe he's just really keen on recycling and using his bike instead of the car in order to be more environmentally friendly.

What is absolutely NOT okay is how he treated your dog. Have you spoken to the guest about this and told him he can't do that? If a guest hit one of my cats, I would be straight on the phone to Airbnb to have them removed from my property. I am sure abuse of pets is a valid excuse to have a guest's stay cancelled.