Help - I'm a superhost who had issues as a guest, and Airbnb have suspended my listings.

Cody272
Level 2
Lake Grove, NY

Help - I'm a superhost who had issues as a guest, and Airbnb have suspended my listings.

I recently stayed in an Airbnb as a guest. However, I am also a superhost. It was communicated with the host of the Airbnb that there would be 8 guests and 1 infant in the home. 30 minutes after check in the host texted me demanding money and stated that my reservation was for 4 people. I quickly sent him his confirmation of 8 people via our conversation on Airbnb and he then apologized for the miscommunication. He blamed his wife for mishandling the matter.

Our communication was at 6:28pm on September 1st. The host then informed me that I would need more towels and bed linens and proceeded with a facetime call at 8:30pm to show me how to access the closet and grab more towels and linens.

I later received communication from the Airbnb Safety Team that there was a report of a party in the home that I was staying in. The report was made at 6:28pm on September 1st. This was the same time that I was communicating with the host via text message. Mind you we were facetiming at 8:30pm. Not sure how I could have been hosting a party. Also, my daughter was sleeping in the home at 7pm. She doesn’t exactly sleep through parties.

Nevertheless, the host has used extortion to recuperate funds saying I owe him money for additional guests and he will happily clear it up with Airbnb once I pay him.

As pointed out, I am also a superhost. Airbnb has put all of my accounts on a freeze until the investigation of this “party” has concluded. Therefore, my business/ investments (the Airbnb’s that I own) are now taking substantial damages to revenue where nobody can access or book my properties until the investigation has concluded.

I have provided substantial evidence and correspondence to the safety team to support my innocence and there has been no outcome. 

5 Replies 5
Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Cody272 

i’m sad to hear what you experienced. 

Now, i’m not gonna use my host account to stay any airbnb. what a lesson learned. 

I really miss the earlier years of Airbnb which hosts are much supported and beloved. 

@Mar125  As do I. Such a horrible experience. My calendar has been booked all year. Except for this weekend where I took a loss because nobody can book. Still suspended and loosing revenue every day. I supplied adequate evidence to Airbnb which makes it clear that there was no party. Yet, no outcome to date.   

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Cody272  This sounds like a really frustrating situation to deal with, especially after having communicated the details to the Host as you mentioned in your post.

I wanted to let you know that I've shared this case with the team that can help. Please note that the Community Center is not part of Customer Service, so someone should be reaching out to you soon.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Paula Thank you for your assistance. Although, I have already contacted the Support Team a number of times and was advised this now sits with a "specialized team" who has no phone number and can only be contacted by scheduling a call. I have spoken with that person a few times and was informed that this "investigation" should not take very long to conclude. Until they notified me yesterday that they were going on vacation for 2 days and now I am in the abyss. 

Oh my, I’m sorry! That was my experience too, when the only claim against a guest I’ve ever made was ‘under investigation’ by a team of people who couldn’t be reached. The guest also made some wild claims of harassment against me. Fortunately, I was able to provide plenty of evidence to refute it, but I had a vague, understanding that I was also being investigated for some indefinite amount of time. It all worked out in my favor in the end, but during the many-weeks-long process, AirBnB would offer zero updates on the investigation, and zero time estimates for its completion. I spent weeks waiting without any recourse or communication except for the occasional email saying someone working on my case would be off work for a couple of days. Fortunately, it my host account wasn’t frozen, but it was still a terrible, disempowering experience. I am sorry you are going through this! I hope AirBnB will improve its communication with hosts who end up in their ‘black hole’ of investigations. Not knowing what’s happening with our case, not having any idea if its progressing, and not being able to estimate how long it might take is truly terrible! Unfortunately, you may be in this process for many weeks.

I would recommend very calmly and politely placing a call to Airbnb host support every couple/few days, to express your concerns and request an update. It needs to become in Airbnb’s best interests to communicate more transparently during its investigations.