Help!! Is this a scam?

Answered!

Help!! Is this a scam?

Hi all, I understand this is a community built for hosts. As I am not a host, I figured maybe you guys could help me out.

Below are two links- One is a Zillow listing in Toronto, Canada. The other one is an "airbnb" in New York City. They have the same exact pictures. Unfortunately, I reserved a different place from this same person. Would I be able to get a refund?

https://www.zillow.com/b/501-adelaide-st-w-toronto-on-BStPZj/

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/798919832615535726?source_impression_id=p3_1676941585_%2FcrYjScY2cx8i04...

1 Best Answer
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The first is probably a 'hijacker', the 2nd is a legitimate Airbnb listing. We have encountered this hustle many, many times over the years. The hijackers gets a higher price than listed on Airbnb, then reserves the place and pockets the difference (acting like a 'travel agent'), or if not legit at all, once they collect enough money up front they may fly the coup and run with all the money.

A booking made not through Airbnb, cancels their participation in any way or form; the fact the place is also listed on Airbnb is irrelevant.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

if you have booked an Airbnb and the property you received is significantly different from what was advertised, you may be eligible for a refund.

The first step would be to contact the host and explain the situation. If the host is unresponsive or unwilling to help, you can contact Airbnb's customer service to report the issue and request a refund. Airbnb has a guest refund policy that provides protection to guests in case of misrepresentation or other issues.

It's important to keep in mind that the refund policy may vary depending on the specific circumstances of your case, so be sure to read the policy carefully before contacting Airbnb. Additionally, it's always a good idea to take screenshots or save any communication with the host to provide evidence of your claim.

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The first is probably a 'hijacker', the 2nd is a legitimate Airbnb listing. We have encountered this hustle many, many times over the years. The hijackers gets a higher price than listed on Airbnb, then reserves the place and pockets the difference (acting like a 'travel agent'), or if not legit at all, once they collect enough money up front they may fly the coup and run with all the money.

A booking made not through Airbnb, cancels their participation in any way or form; the fact the place is also listed on Airbnb is irrelevant.

I found this googling this outfit:

"Zillow now allows renters to pay rent online to their landlords for properties on the Zillow Rental Manager tool. Zillow charges renters a transaction fee when using debit or credit cards to pay their landlord. However, renters also have a no-fee option to pay their rent by using ACH."

How complicated.

@Fred13 @Corbin10 

It used happen quite often out here in Asia you would get people acting as travel agents in a certain country and would clone my Airbnb account with all the details then the agent would book with me through Airbnb, 

We knew something was wrong when they start asking for invoices, 

Then another family booked my villa for 2 weeks all along no real correspondence and my husband noticed the phone number kept changing.

We offered our luxury minivan service which they never accepted or declined, another red flag,

They eventually told us what time they will arrive, so we are there to meet them, this is when the fun starts the only name we know was the one on the Airbnb booking conformation not the people who arrived maybe they thought they could do self check in, this is when the husband starts he tell us he booked a villa on the beach, We dont say we are on the beach I can now see the details he has, so I ask him who is this? my friend he replies, ok so where's your friend? You had better phone your friend right now.

Big argument out the front of the villa he wants his money back, their English was not good you call Airbnb, 

Anyway they didn't stay got back in the taxi and went, I got paid and never heard any more about it, whoever they were outside my villa they couldn't call Airbnb the person who booked with us didn't give sheeeet she got her money, 

@Sudsrung0  Amazing what lengths people will go to prey upon others.