Help please… I have only ten days left to complete a guests review, and I’m struggling.

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Help please… I have only ten days left to complete a guests review, and I’m struggling.

I have only ten days left to complete a guests review, and I’m struggling. 

The guests - a young couple - were on their honeymoon. So all the usual extra touches were made.

My cottage was left clean and tidy and I was happy for once again, having 5 star guests stay with me.

Then I saw the rug in front of the fire.

I’m unsure if the door on the wood fire was left open and a couple of logs have rolled out across the hearth and onto the rug, or if they were adding wood to the fire and a log has rolled out - or what? But the burns in the rug are deep.

I don’t know how it happened.

There was no note left to tell me how it happened. No message. Not even a phone call.

There’s plenty of notepaper in the cottage. I even have a guest book they could have used - which they read. 

The carpet in the cottage is old and tired. It’s a good quality though as it cleans well and takes the dirt like a trooper. I have rugs that match the carpet. Properly bound at the edges. I have one at the front door (mud here in winter is clay, and clay dust in summer), and the other is in front of the hearth.

I know it’s silly, but I put my heart into Serenity Cottage, and my past guests for the most part appear to have loved it too.

I think the fact that they left no note, or forbore to mention it at all leaves me feeling like they don’t care about the damage they made at all.

This is why I’m struggling with their review. What do I do?

I’ve mentioned most of the above in the ‘Add a private note’ space, suggesting that in future, let the host know by any means, but their public one… please help.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️
2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Deborah82 I would mention it in the review but I also think that rugs in front of fires are, to an extent, sacrificial to save the carpet. Any fire or stove, however carefully tended, will spit embers occasionally. Now full logs rolling out is clearly different but.....

Worst thing for me is they didn't admit/apologise the damage.

Thank you for your input, it’s truly appreciated.

Yes! That is why I’m struggling - because no mention was made of it.

I have had other guests have accidents. We’re all human, and accidents happen.

What bothers me is that by saying nothing, they appear to not care. How can someone do that? Do damage - accidental or not - and not say a word? I don’t understand how people can do that.

The rug is placed there for that reason, true. It has saved the carpet from many a spark. This was much, much more than that.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️