Hi I am mandy, new to this had a couple really nice guessed. I live in the property and have 2 young lads staying for 28 days. I would like some advice.

Mandy350
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi I am mandy, new to this had a couple really nice guessed. I live in the property and have 2 young lads staying for 28 days. I would like some advice.

I have told them that I  would like to clean room and change bedding once a week but they haven't let me.  Also they keep all the plates in room so I have non to use, when they do washing they leave it in washing machine all day and night then have to re wash it, what shall I do......

13 Replies 13
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Oh gosh @Mandy350 . This is a tough one. They are forcing you into the role of being their mother. Would a meeting with them (conveyed via a note with a suggested time in your kitchen) be an opportunity to let them know how welcome they are but that as its your home too you'd like them to confirm knowledge of your house rules and to ensure they are respecting your property?

An alternative might be to just suffer them for the month and do a thorough clean up once they've gone? Tricky? Which is the least stressful....???  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mandy350 I would tell them that unless they give you more respect you will be forced to ask Airbnb to terminate their stay.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mandy350  As a home-share host, you need to make rules and boundaries clear to guests. Of course they can't keep dirty dishes in their room so you have none to use. Tell them they have to bring their dirty dishes into the kitchen as soon as they've finished eating and wash them immediately or put them in the dishwasher. Many hosts have rules about guests not eating in bedrooms at all.

As for the once a week cleaning, that's something reasonable, but you really need to state this in your listing and convey this to guests when they first book or request to book. Don't make it a choice they can decline, make it clear this is the way you operate, no exceptions.

If you get a guest who you see is a clean freak when you go in to clean, and it's all clean and tidy, then you can always ask the guest if they'd prefer you don't enter their room since you can see how nice they keep things and would they prefer to change the linens themselves.

I think you need to sit down with these young men and act like their mama- it's your home, not theirs, and they need to understand what constitutes respect in a shared home listing. Either they comply, or you can ask them to leave and shorten their booking.

Mandy350
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you for your advice. I told them twice that I wanted to change bedding but they always in there and said they would do themselves but haven't. I think I have been a bit too laid back because I don't want to upset them. I will indeed have a talk to them. 

@Mandy350 ,

Young guys do not bordering change their new bedsheets or clean the bed linens.

Trust me, they can stay a month or two , without washing their bed sheets. Save your times and energy.
You can just simply offer some snacks, and chips, they’ll be much appreciate your hospitality.

@Dale711  Guests using the same sheets for a month will likely result in stained, disgusting sheets that she will have to throw out.

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Sarah977 

With my respect, you're wrong, so wrong, so so wrong.

1. Mandy isn't hosting an animal? She opens her home for Humans, like you and me.
  2. Using the same sheets for a month, of course, will be stained. Yet, Mandy can save up the laundry electricity, water energy and can be recycled as patchworks fabric. Don't you change and purchase new bed sheets monthly for your guests? As a reminded, all Airbnb hosts are obligated to follow the Airbnb 5 step cleaning protocol and we have signed on the agreement.
  3. " Mandy isn't running 20-bed flophouse for single guys" Are you pointing to my listings? My apartment is a Duplex Penthouse, as clearly described in the listing description. Well located beside the Hotel de Ville, Bobigny ( the city's hall of local administration, Grand Paris ) By corrective measures to your point of views from flophouse to a Penthouse.
  4. Did you know when Pigs were first domesticated in the Near East? Is around 8500 BC and subsequently brought into Europe by agriculturalists At present, pigs are the most loveable pet, especially in the US and Europe. I am not sure in Mexico, I bet they don't like to keep the pig in the home. They are once of the super-intelligent, clean and clue pet in the world. Of course, the owner is necessary for training the pig to be clean. As like a host to educated the guest to be clean in the home.

Look! Am I cute and clean " give me a likes "Look! Am I cute and clean " give me a likes "      

@Dale711 No, I have never had to replace sheets after a month of use. That's absurd. I have had the same sets of sheets for three years. They aren't stained or worn at all. Guests never use them for more than a week, maximum. And my guests are clean people.

A room where the sheets haven't been changed in a month and the guests are piling up dirty dishes will smell really bad and be a heatlh hazard and an attraction to rodents and cockroaches. It will take days to make that room presentable to new guests and remove the smell if that continues for a month.

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Sarah977

Again, " tone deaf" or " graceless" issues 

***** 5 steps cleaning protocols to be followed 

I had mentioned, my listing is next or besides of the Grand Paris City Hall.
My listing certainly accurate, besides we even be hosting frequently the city hall officers due to late hours works, they prefer to stay in my place than a commercial hotel room.

You may need to question them if it is or true my dormitory room and shared bathroom are legalise or not in Paris. I sure they will happy to reply to you, do not forget to present in French formal letter only.

You were mentioned the lowers standards of cleaning hygiene in my listing,  you just reminded me to check thought as images below,

The listing s cleaning clearly up to 1.4% and overall of 93.8% for the pass 30 daysThe listing s cleaning clearly up to 1.4% and overall of 93.8% for the pass 30 days

The results reports must be disappointed you.

* You forgotten to response another thread of the “ Coco Channel” hair style 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sarah977  and everyone, let's try and stay supportive to one another. We may not always agree on everything, but it is important that we remain respectful.

I think there's no need to mention each other's listing unless specifically asked for advice and tips on reviews, listing description etc.. After all, we don't want the conversation to spiral into something negative. 

Let's keep things on positive and respectful going forward please. 

Thank you,

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Mandy350 

As @Mary996  stated do communication with the guest about your concern , always open up what is “ do”  and “ don’t” in your home.

As a matter of fact,  you do not need to clean the room until the guest leave, because the listing announcements is a “ Private Room”. Beside, they doesn’t let you to enter the room.

In case, if you worried what happen in the room, you can always  knock on the door, little “ spy “ in to the room and ask them “ Do yours like to join me for  a cup of tea? “ 

Don’t you worried much, I surely they’re fine. You just show yourself often in the kitchen or living room , just reminded  the guest that “ I “ am  yours host and we together shared the place.

Happy Hosting

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Your listing shows as new and well appointed, @Mandy350 .  However, your description  does not include information about shared spaces other than the kitchen for food prep and the bathroom.  Is it your expectation that the guest stay out of your livingroom or lounge and any dining table?  If so, then with a longer stay that tends to eat in, you might be encouraging eating in the bedroom with all the mess and damage that entails.   If you do not encourage the guest to be outside the bedroom, especially on a longer stay, then it can be awkward for both you and the guest.  Just a thought.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Ouch... yes all these points are important. What to do @Mandy350 ??

How are you minded now? I have every confidence you will find a way to make this work!!