Homeless guest booking - feedback for next steps

Tony2038
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Homeless guest booking - feedback for next steps

Just recently had a guest booked our spare bedroom. They were a homeless couple. Had a ton of stuff with them that filled our parking spot of our house. Was insistent in bringing it all in. They had a foul odour. Clothes were ripped up. We denied them and got a penalty for it. We changed the house rules so that we won’t get penalized if this were to happen again. Apparently these homeless guests didn’t violate any house rules, so we got penalized. Here are the house rules I added, please let me know your thoughts:

Guests are allowed up to 2 travel cases and one personal bag (such as a backpack or purse). Any additional luggage requires host approval.

The host reserves the right to deny entry to guests who appear intoxicated, aggressive, or unhygienic. This may be determined by strong odors, ripped or dirty clothing, an overall unclean appearance, or any behavior the host considers inappropriate.

4 Replies 4
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Yikes. How long did they book for?

I also had a similar story in which a would-be homeless person booked our Airbnb before he became homeless. It was actually a bit of a struggle that time as well for us. 

How did he/she book? Was it instant booking? 

It was an instant book. So I added these rules above which I made as specific as possible so that I can point to a rule that was broken

Bronwyn100
Level 10
Hardys Bay, Australia

They paid to stay. Unless it was an instant booking you communicated with them before they arrived. You take people as you find them. Our levels of cleanliness differ greatly. I've had a similar situation. I hope they left after a hot shower and were able to wash their clothes. The things they brought with them is everything they own. They were obviously scared something would be stolen. I've had a couple arrive with 8 suitcases. Their perogative. They are traveling the world. Empathy Tony. 

Feel free to start a charity and host anyone you wish. Just don’t telling others how they should feel about hosting.