Host Who Enters Guest-Only Areas Without Asking of Having a Good Reason

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Host Who Enters Guest-Only Areas Without Asking of Having a Good Reason

Did this happen to you? What did you do about it?

Hi all,
I stayed at an AirBnB in Quebec. The host lives upstairs and the AirBnB accommodation (3 bedroom listings and dedicated common areas - bathroom, kitchen/dining and hallway) is downstairs. We have a private entrance from the street. The host's area is separated from the guest area by a locked door. Guests do not have a key to this door.

The day after I arrived, I found the host wandering around the guest common areas. I asked him what was happening but didn't get a clear answer. I asked him not to do that again and pointed out that as a host myself, I would not enter the guest area without permission/notice except in an emergency. His response? "I'm the boss."!!
Hoping my point was made, I didn't push things as I was checking out the next day. It wasn't. Just before I left, the host was wandering around again!

YES, I did mention it in the review.
YES, I did contact AirBnB 'Support' - including the upstairs/downstairs division, the private guest entrance and the locked door.
NO, I am not happy with their response.

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I did expect to see the other guests in the common area, but I didn't expect the host to be wandering through.
I'm sure that was against the policy but I can't find it anywhere.
Please would someone here be able to find the clause so I can quote it right back at AirBnB?
Thanks.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Terri38 I think you are wrong here. Surely the host needs to access the common areas to clean them and also to get into the rooms when a guest leaves to turn them around. If the listing says shared areas then they are shared with guests and hosts alike.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Terri38 

Although the response "I'm the boss!" is not ideal, I don't really know the full details of the conversation that led up to this, so perhaps this was said in frustration after the situation was more politely explained.

Anyway, if the areas outside of the bedrooms are communal, I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  that the host entering them is pretty normal. If you want complete privacy, you need to book an entire unit, not a shared one.