Host agreed a refund with me but is now refusing to honor it.

Host agreed a refund with me but is now refusing to honor it.

Beware of cancelation policy at ** I had a booking there but had to cancel due to husbands broken leg. No refunds after 48hours of booking. I cancelled a month and a half before my booking time. The host and I emailed and she stated in several conversations that despite cancelation policy I would get a partial refund once she got the money from Airbnb. Airbnb said host got it all but the host, which on the listing is **,  now is refusing to refund any money. I know they are not obligated as per the cancelation policy but she did say several times she would and now she won't so that is disappointing. 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes that is disappointing @Debbie1118  . Hosts who do this, give other hosts a bad name.

I am a little confused though. If you cancelled so long in advance were you not entitled to any refund under the cancellation policy you booked under so you got a partial refund.

As your husband unfortunately broke his leg were you not able to make a claim under your travel insurance to cover the cost of cancelling your holiday?

The deal was she would wait to get paid after the actual reservation was to take place (the host did get paid).

Actually I need to speak with Airbnb again. Now that im reading it again , I AM entitled to partial repayment based on Cancellation policy

Free cancellation for 48 hours. Cancel before 3:00 PM on Mar 10 for a partial refund. They had me convinced I wasn't as per the policy. Now im going to report this back to Airbnb.

Jan 27, 2023

Debbie11:25 AM
Hi Martina, I am messaging you about our trip at the end of March....we’re not gonna be able to come.

@Debbie1118 the host only got paid less than half the money they were expecting. This is probably the full amount minus the cleaning fee divided by 2. Hence why they didn't refund you anything.

I wonder - Did you only pay for half the reservation and then cancel before the second half was due? If so the wording of the policy is that you only get 50% of the total back not 50% of what you paid so nothing would be due.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Debbie1118  You may not have been entitled per se to 50% of the deposit unless the host was under a Super Strict cancellation policy, which I doubt. But a promise is a moral obligation. I will never forget a lawyer that said to me - "The 'problem' with you is you think along moral grounds". I looked at him as what he really was - a worm. 🐛

Silverthorne

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]