Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

Answered!
Jennifer2827
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

My host is asking for the driver's license of everyone in my party (4 people). It is unusual and makes me concerned, as I have never had this request before. Is this legit?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

When it comes to guests verifying their identity, this Help Center article details when and if it is appropriate: What a Host may ask you for

It is dependant on local laws or may be a requirement in a Hosts house rules to see a form of ID at the point of check-in.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

68 Replies 68
Roseann54
Level 1
Hollywood, FL

Traveling to BCN in Oct. The concerning thing for me is that the host told me they have to hand it over to the police! WTF that feels like tyranny. I was in BCN in 2017 and this was not required.

and another weird thing. This is my first post to the community. Do they just add a number to your profile and create a new one? 

@Roseann54 I cannot understand how anyone expects to have four adults stay in someones house ,without giving their id ?H

Should I put that in my House Rules?

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi @Roseann54 ! 🙂

Yes - your CC username is essentially your Airbnb profile name with a number behind it. When you join the CC, it automatically creates this profile and username for you. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

in many European countries, the presentation of a passport or an identity card is compulsory.

I live in Spain and for the arrival of customers I must fill out a file for each customer with the name date of the birth number of their passport ... This sheet must then be put on the website of the Spanish police.

The sheets are to be kept for 5 years because if there is a control and the host does not have the sheet we have to pay a fine of 600 euro.

I am very happy with the implementation of this procedure because in the event of a problem with travelers it is easier to file a police complaint.

just taking a guess here but its likely the host applying stereotyping against you based solely on the profile pic.

having a young guest conjures up nightmares involving the owner running up the stairs in slow-motion as a house party rages on the other side of the front door.

We try to scream but we have no voice as holes are being punched through walls in-sync with the droning, monotonous bass-line that is knocking pictures off the walls three houses down the block...

We wake up in a cold sweat at 4:20a making a mental note to update the minimum age of guests after we drink some orange juice.

This is not reasonable.  As an Airbnb host you are only a contractor.  Your not a hotel which requires PCI compliance (proof good actions are in place to protect people's info against misuse), and is likely managed by more than one person which makes it less likely to abuse such a power.

A driver's license (or Passport) is a major part of what would be needed to steal someone's identity, or do terrible things like Account Takeovers.

As a tech person, I absolutely refuse such a request and escalated it to Airbnb (whom I expected would have enough sense to realize this risk).  Airbnb is supposed to be the 3rd party trust mechanism, which should be enough - but it's not.

I was awarded a 35% refund for a cancellation ( but I didn't cancel, I just said ill show you my ID but I'm not going to copy it for you ).  I ended up  doing a charge-back with my bank, because the Airbnb host could require I enter the house naked but that shouldn't mean its enforceable.  At the end of the day Airbnb just cares about the profit.

... and people wonder why Identity theft is such a huge issue.

At least allow 100% refunds for hosts that require this, lets be honest it's likely collected data is used elsewhere whether its nefarious or not.

The county that I reside in mandates that hosts get and keep for 2 years a photo id. It’s not optional for the host or guest to decline. 

Hosts dont set the policy. The cities and counties do, 

Any hotel you stay at will also require id. My county mandates that we collect a photo if and keep it for 2 years. Trust is a 2 way street. The host has a lot more to lose than a guest. 

The guest has a lot to lose if you don't store their personal identity document to the highest degree of cyber security standards.  Identity theft is no joke.  The guest has a lot more to lose than the host if you don't take as much care with their identity as you expect them to take with your house.  I know you probably have homeowners insurance, but do you have cyber insurance in case of a breach?  Or is trust really only a 1-way street when it comes down to it?

Hotels ask for I.D. which you will hand it to them in person to verify if it's you, not scan and send it to them in email. Big difference.

Abi010
Level 8
England, United Kingdom

@Bryon37, I  will defer to this suggestion of Airbnb has responsibilities to collect the necessary ID. This is about ny own security and peace of mind. If any guest is nor happy to provide an ID, as stated on my listing,  they are not obliged to book my listing. 

As most of us host know,  not everyone that books on the platform are the same guest that turns up in your house, especially for a live in host like me , I need to do my own due diligence