Host asking for more money

Host asking for more money

Hi guys. I recently moved to Stockholm to a nice appt I rented through Airbnb because I wanted to feel safe in a totally new country to me.

Everything went well, until the host is now asking for more money because what airbnb gives to him is too low. He wants to charge me with 700 USD more.

He threatens me with cancellation and legal actions (as he says I promised him more money, which is not true, as I told him that if we decided to stay more time after airbnb contract ended, I was going to pay more).

I am afraid if making the claim, because I am in his house and if he cancels, I have to find a place with all my stuff, which is extremely hard and expensive here, pay for it and he is also threatening with legal actions.

I am new in this country and I do not want problems. Do you know if Airbnb could relocate me? Someone has had a similar issue?

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Pedro1656 it feels like the host is a jerk. Theoretically Airbnb will try to find you a new place if you are kicked out and the host will be penalised but anything they will do is subject to availability. Try token all messaging on Airbnb although this is tricky if you are sharing a house.

Best advice might be to try and find somewhere else yourself and then mutually shorten your stay.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Pedro1656  oh no, this host is scamming you. did you choose some place "too good to be true" ie, very cheap? why is this host charging you in USD?

you do not have to pay them any more, there is NO WAY that if this goes to mediation that airbnb will make you pay more. did he message you through the platform? if you are messaging off platform (whatsapp or other) then this is 1000% a scam. 

make sure you keep messaging ONLY in the airbnb app, so if you aren't, you need to put all this in writing, into the messaging system in the app.  

The strange thing is that I have been living here for 2 months and it has been great so far. It is not that cheap though... he claims that electricity has gone up, and other stuff...

I hate this, I feel so unprotected

@Pedro1656 how long was your initial booking? If you are looking to extend beyond that then the host does have the right to change the price as he sees fit.

No, I said to him that if we stayed beyond, we could pay more. But we will not stay longer, we will just stay the time stipulated initially

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Pedro1656 

A lot of hosts are putting up or considering putting up their prices due to increased utility costs, increased mortgages, increased cost of pretty much everything, and that is understandable.

However, the host is NOT allowed to put up the price during your stay, at least not for the dates you already booked via Airbnb. When making a booking, both you and the host are entering into a contract with cancellation penalties involved. That contract includes the price that was agreed at the time of booking. The host can only ask you for extra if extra services were offered and accepted or if there were damages caused by the guest. They can not charge you extra because the bills went up!

Also, this host's threats sound close to extortion to me. I would do as others suggest. Try to find another place if you can as a back up and report this host to Airbnb and ask if they are able to relocate you. Try to keep all conversations on the Airbnb messaging system so that you have some evidence.

If, however, the host is asking you to pay extra for extending your stay or dates booked outside of Airbnb, that is a different matter...