Host asking what do about an inconvenience to renter?

Leslie1019
Level 1
Carlsbad, CA

Host asking what do about an inconvenience to renter?

Hello, the tv remote at my rental hasn’t worked since my current renters arrived. (I clearly should have checked prior to their arrival).They notified me Friday, I dropped off more batteries, my husband tried to fix it to no success. A remote is on order as I couldn’t find one locally. There is a second tv. They depart tomorrow—4 night stay. Any recommendations on how to make up for this inconvenience? Gift card, money back? Appreciate any thoughtful suggestions.

8 Replies 8
Shelley159
Top Contributor
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Leslie1019 

Just a quick thought in case your next guests arrive before the remote control does. If both of the TV's are the same brand, you can check whether the same remote works on both. If so, you can simply leave a note for your next guests asking them to use the same remote on both TVs until the order arrives. (If they are different brands, you can also check if your home TV remote works, or buy a cheap universal remote, which you can then keep as a back-up for future issues)

Thank you Shelley for your ideas. The remote is a LG Magic remote so the universal doesn't work, nor do I have a Magic remote in my home, and the upstairs tv remote is different, a bummer all around! (Thankfully I don't have any more renters until the fall as I typically take the unit off the market in our summer). Any thoughts on compensation/or a gift card to the renters? Feeling stumped but want to recognize the inconvenience.

@Leslie1019 

As the Host I   would consider impact of the inconvenience.

1.  When reported?  Maybe it wasn't reported earlier because it wasn't in use?

2.  The degree of inconvenience?  A second tv in a bedroom  hassss various levels of inconvenience depending on number of people  involved.  6 Adults trying to see the news as opposed to 2 adults  fitting in a bedroom.

3.  How many actual days inconvenienced?

4.  Repeat guest or potential repeat?

Make your business process that you can utilize whatever the inconvenience.  The  important  fact is not why but  a Guest was inconvenienced.   When you address with the Guest also  it reflects the Guests inconvenience  not a broken  remote is your priority.

Thank you Marie.  I have a tendency to over do it sometimes so I appreciate your point of view and consideration of how to access the "inconvenient" situation. 

Leslie

@Leslie1019 

My  husband  is the same   way.  I  always  tell   him  put in  perspective    No   toilet  paper would be  a nightmare..  If  the   Guest has  not  expressed  a  nightmare  don't  create  the nightmare.    In a  case  like  this the guest   might   be   happy  with   I have   an extra  remote or somee answer  that  their inconvenience  made you  address.    Guests  are human like  us, annnd  it  depends on  the  Guest   but   sometimes  credit for   forcing    you   too  stop   the   issue   is  what  they   need.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Leslie1019 

You will need to figure out the level of compensation for this situation but it's good to have a strategy when something comes up. 

For example  last week the internet was down for our area because a fiber optic cable was damaged. I sent guest a screen shot from the app that showed a map of the outage and when it would be restored the next day. I also provide guest with a parking pass for the beach and when something crops up I let them know the pass is also good for a free admission to another historic site that will save them $25 each for the tour. 

Guest responds back it's not a problem and thanks me for the update. It's out of my control so feel that was fair enough.

But with a remote breaking I would also consider a small refund. Mine is just a guest apartment but usually $40 for something like that. You might make that a little higher because your rates are 4x mine, so $150, and because they have a second TV you really don't know how much of an inconvenience so maybe just $100 because they paid over 2k for 4 days. 

Although you would need to decide what you want to do. I don't worry about it. This doesn't happen often. Mine is also more budget oriented. Almost all say oh I wasn't expecting a refund so may be able to communicate apologize for the inconvenience and the gift card or refund is a gesture of good will. 

I think it's best to handle situations like this on your own. My experience is guest will be satisfied you did your best and not neglecting them. There is no guarantee but so far they understand things happen. Other host have a gift basket or gift card for lunch. 

BTW I have a back up remote for the heat/ac but need to have one for their TV as well so thanks for posting. 

*** Alternatively you could use a 4k Roku remote and streaming stick. Its cost like $40 and just plug it in the back. Those are available locally at Best Buys etc. Then store the TV remote in a safe place. The Roku remote does everything. Can set up streaming for apps if you provide those or guest can sign into their own. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey @Leslie1019 👋

That's such a thoughtful thing to consider for your guests. What did you decide to do in the end? Did any of the answers from fellow hosts below support you in making a decision? 

It would be great to hear what you did and how that affected your guests stay.  😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Leslie1019   I just went through this with Roku remote. I was lucky and was able to Amazon a new one over the next day. I also have back up remotes in the cabinet above fridge now in the event this happens again. 

I didn’t offer any compensation as it was one day and there are 3 other TVs in the unit. 
As hosts we sometimes need to put things into perspective. We are offering up our homes that come with often times unexpected issues, they are homes. Appliances sh!t the bed, ants arrive in the kitchen, power or internet goes out, neighbor starts cutting their grass at 7:00 AM.  
If your guest lives in a home or apartment they have likely experienced all of the above. I can assure you they don’t get any compensation from their mortgage co, cable, electric company or landlord. These are homes and this is the reality of life. 
Just my 2 cents as I don’t get all wrapped around the axle for things that happen that are beyond my control. 

Karen