Host canceled booking to raise price

John7007
Level 1
Rochester, NY

Host canceled booking to raise price

I just had a host cancel my stay, but when I go to book a new listing I see that the apartment is still available but at double the price.

We are less than 30 days from our trip, and we have had the booking for atleast 30 days. This feels like something Airbnb should not allow. Do I have any recourse?

4 Replies 4
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

So sad to read this, @John7007 . Usually Airbnb's penalty is a calender block for the cancelled days, plus a high cancellation fee. Is there a new listing?

see https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990

Yes, when I search the same dates, I do see the hosts listing still. I'm not sure who to contact for this. Its been a very stressful morning, but I think we were able to find a new place to stay. But I am extremely frustrated and upset. 

@John7007  I can’t think of a situation where the dates wouldn’t be blocked, unless the property had been double-booked, in which case it wouldn’t be available in your search.

I doubt you would have any recourse, per se, but demanding an explanation is certainly within reason, IMO.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What Airbnb does when a host cancels a reservation is to block the originally reserved dates and exclude them from becoming a Superhost for 1 year.  Are you sure those dates are open again?