Host declining guest count change

Krista304
Level 2
Greenville, SC

Host declining guest count change

I am booking a reservation and need to change my guest count to less than the original request because only a few of the original group can go (the stay is 3 weeks away). 
The host is declining my change and I’m not sure what to do? It does change the total cost of the stay and I told them everyone who would be staying will be there together at check in. I don’t see how it’s appropriate for me to pay for people who will not be coming?

5 Replies 5
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Krista304 this is an inconvenience to you and the host. I do not know your numbers but you have rented the whole house , not just bedrooms. That being said its possible that you would use all bedrooms with or without enough guests. Unlike hotels which are rented by the room , plus the whole house must be cleaned anyway. Many hosts may send you a host variation if they wish , so that any extra guest fee is returned to you. The thing is the extra guest fee is not returned to the extra guests so its interesting to see how the stay is split ,as I assume it is . i would suggest that in future you be a little more sure of your guest numbers before booking as there is always the possibility that these extra fees will not be returned... H

I paid for the entire property stay out of my own pocket, it is not split. It was my contribution to a very rare opportunity for family to be together. I had told the host over a month ago that the guest count would likely change and they seemed welcome to it.

I don’t see how that makes sense, because I would still be paying the fee for the house, and the cleaning fee, and the expense of the other guests that are coming. As you said “the whole house must be cleaned anyway,” which is the point of the cleaning fee, not occupancy fee. And we would be using less than half the house. 
Had I requested to add more guests (within the number of guests allowed on the booking) I doubt the host would decline. But because less people are coming, they can keep my money?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did the host say when you spoke to them to see why they wouldn't accept your alteration request.

What is the difference in the cost between your original booking and the one you want to amend it to? @Krista304 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Krista304 It seems very unfair of the host but it could be that they see this as akin to cancelling (part of) the stay. If you are outside of the free cancellation period I guess they have decided you should pay anyway.

If you are within the cancellation period you could cancel and book elsewhere (in that order or you will lose money)

Thank you for your response!!! This doesn’t make sense to me that it would be “cancelling” the stay because I am still paying the base fee for the entirety of the house plus me and the guest staying. It doesn’t seem appropriate to charge me for people who aren’t there. However I understand what you are saying, thank you for explaining!