Host going through trash/ 4 star review anger from host

Tamora3
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Host going through trash/ 4 star review anger from host

Good morning.  I have a question.  I had a host message me after my stay saying that he was not happy that I left a 4 star review after staying at his second location. I explained why I did and I also left good comments on the review. I stayed at both his locations. I stayed at his second location because the bed was hard at the first location. But it was hard at the second location so I gave the same 4 star review. But again left good comments saying the positives. And he was not happy. Complained that I was a 2-3 star guest. I asked how cause I cleaned everything. Bagged up trash, made the bed etc. And if I was that bad why you let me stay at the second location? He sent me a video of the trash bag he went through that was tied up at the first location. I threw away a towel that had some blood on it. I was there 1 night. After my shower I was drying off and noticed my cycle came on. I didn’t want to leave the towel for someone to wash because to me thats unsanitary. It’s blood. So I threw the towel in the trash. He sends me a video after I booked and checked out the second location because he was upset about the 4 star. Are they supposed to go through the trash? Is that legal and isn’t that our personal trash? Idk seems a little weird. I figured at most he would say we have a towel missing you have to replace it and I would have said no problem. But the first place bed was hard “to me” so I gave 4 star as I could not sleep but I left a good review. 2nd place had mold under the sink and strong smell in apt. Hair on floor in bathroom. Internet went out cause he didn’t pay bill. He did pay and it came back on in some hours. But this was just a few issues so I left another 4 start with good comments. Again I mentioned none of this in the comments. I told him separately. So he was mad and sent me the video.  Was I wrong for trashing the towel or not leaving 5 star? Or unreasonable. I stay at air bnb all the time and this is the first time I had a issue after checking out like this. He told me not to pick his place ever again etc. This was in Morocco.  I am from the US. And have stayed in many countries/continents in Airbnb with no issues at all.  What are your thoughts? 

5 Replies 5
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Tamora3 ! Thank you for sharing your experience here with other Hosts and guests on our Community Center. From your post it seems both the stays didn't go as smooth as expected.

How did this eventually end? Did you hear back from the Hosts or you reached out to them for further clarification on the matter?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

The first stay was fine I just didn’t like the bed. But I left a positive review and said the bed was a little firm for me but if you like firm you’ll love the space. But he was upset that I didn’t leave 5 star. And after I check out his second location he reached out to me and was mad that I left 4 star again. But the 3 star was due to the mold and other concerns not the bed because that is personal preference. Things didn’t go well and after he reached out it didn’t get any better. But it’s fine neither one of us wants to be in contact with each other again. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Tamora3  You are absolutely wrong for throwing the towel away and not saying anything!!!

The most important thing about AirBnBs is communication. Someone worked hard to stock and prepare a property for you to stay in. It's so disrespectful to do what you did. If, for whatever reason, you thought the towel was not worth washing or saving (not really your decision to make), you let the host know that there was an issue, and that you'd like to reimburse him for the cost of the towel. You don't need to go into the reason, but you do need to let the host know. 

As to the other issues, it sounds like things went south and it's a case of he said-she said. I'm not in a position to address your accusations. I will say this though: bed comfort is VERY subjective. What may seem like the most uncomfortable bed to you, may be another person's dream bed. It's not like the host bought an "uncomfortable" bed on purpose for his AirBnB. It's not like he can replace a mattress overnight for one guest who doesn't like it. You moved from one location to another (and the host accommodated you) because the bed was uncomfortable for you, and then you didn't like the second bed either. If you're that particular, contact the host ahead of time and ask how they would describe their mattress. Firm? Soft? Somewhere in between? 

No, your actions were not okay. Would you go to a relative's home and throw something of theirs away without telling them? I don't think so. 

And no, it's not illegal to go through the trash. I suspect that the host was just looking for the missing towel. 

Thank you for your feedback. I can see your point. And I wasn’t moved to another location. I returned to the area a week later and I saw the same host had another location so I reached out to him asking about the bed. He said it couldn’t confirm because as you said it is personal opinion. But offered me to book the other Location. But again that wasn’t the (main) issue it was everything else. And I didn’t want to leave a towel with a (substance like that) on it but maybe I should have asked. I was a little embarrassed and felt uncomfortable sharing this with a male. But I should have asked. Your right. I never knew he was upset about it or had an issue until after I checked out the second location and left another 4 start review. Which was why he contacted me and was upset that I left 4 start and not 5. Which really had nothing to do with the bed and more with the mold in the kitchen and other things I mentioned. I have good reviews from everywhere I stay because I clean and make sure it like I found it or better. This was just not a good experience and I never left a negative review for either stay. I only said positive things. But again he was mad I left 4 star. 

@Tamora3  kudos for being receptive to the input. I hope this will be a learning experience. Just FYI, the first thing to do when you have a problem or concern about the space you've rented is to contact the host. If the place has mold, a smell, or hair somewhere, you have to offer the host the opportunity to correct those things. I'm aware that they shouldn't happen in the first place, but people do make mistakes, and if it's something that can be corrected, you have to give the host the opportunity to try. If they don't or can't, then you contact AirBnB. 

I also want to make you aware that while most people think a 4* rating is good, it's not good for the host. If the unit is truly not up to standard, and the host can't bring it to standard, then a 4* (or even lower) may be appropriate. However, you rated him a 4* about the bed during your first stay, when that is a completely subjective opinion, and not really fair to the host. 4* ratings will slowly bring his numbers down, and he may lose superhost status or be delisted by AirBnB. 

I'm a host, and I'm staying in an AirBnB right now. It is NOT fancy, and there are a few small issues. I can deal with them, and will not say anything to the host or rate him down. Why? It is a BUDGET place, and it is as promised. There is nothing fancy here, and it's a little rough around the edges, but I am getting what I paid for. I'm trying to give you some perspective here. 

You seem like a great guest, and I hope you'll consider this last reservation as a learning experience. Yes, hosts should deliver a property as promised, and it should be clean, safe, and comfortable. However, many hosts depend on AirBnB for their livelihood, and your ratings affect that. I hope you'll keep that in mind for your future rentals.  Good luck.