Host is subletting without landlord's permission - will I, the guest, get kicked out?

Host is subletting without landlord's permission - will I, the guest, get kicked out?

Hello

I'm currently a guest in someone's AirBnB apartment. Since living in the property, it has become aparent that the Host is not the owner of the property - he has sublet the property without the permission of his landlord and the landlord knows that I'm his 'Guest' in the property.

My question is this - can the landlord kick me out and essentially bypass the Host? Also, if the Host kicks me out of the property prior to the end date, can I get a refund? 

Thanks

122 Replies 122

You'll be there every day insuring that .. you realize that's illegal in the US, right?  You can file a legal complaint or a HOA action,  you can't harass people.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Have you seen the tenancy agreement?  Do you know for a fact,  that whatever you're doing,  constitutues "subletting" in the UK?  In many jurisdictions,  short-term transient guests (under 30 days) do not constitute a sublet.

I've been in 5-10 such situations over the years,  for a variety of reasons,  including seeing the equivalent of a pay rent or quit notice in several languages.   Sometimes they were unreasonable landlords,  sometimes they were tenants on the edge-- in fact,  I'm thinking of one guy who was packing up the morning I left,   no hot water.   

"Leave a scathing review" seems harsh unless there was an actual problem caused by the host's lack of diligence or breach.  Airbnbing a flat for a week when you're out of town,  doesn't seem to me,  to constitute that.

I would also suspect it takes some time to remove someone,  in the UK.

David192
Level 10
London, United Kingdom