Host let’s himself in our Airbnb unannounced

Karen2478
Level 1
New York, NY

Host let’s himself in our Airbnb unannounced

Both my fiend and I are women and shortly after we checked into our Airbnb our male host let himself into the apartment unannounced with another man, saying hello to get our attention.  We were both very upset by this.  The apartment which is accessed by an elevator has a code to let people up to the apartment, there is no way to knock on a door. We were concerned for our safety.  The host later apologized profusely and changed the code and has been helpful with other issues but we feel this is highly inappropriate and are not sure what to do.  The apartment is rather expensive and we feel our privacy should have been respected. 

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why did the host enter your apartment @Karen2478 ?

Make sure you have followed up any verbal conversations with the host on Airbnb messaging.

If you don't feel safe to continue staying there, you can contact Airbnb and ask them if they can cancel the booking and help you find alternative accommodation.

He wanted to show the apartment to someone from his bank.  That was the only explanation. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Karen2478, could you let us know how everything went in the end? Have you followed up with the host or did you contact Airbnb? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

The host has apologized and promised not to do it again and is making efforts to make our stay comfortable.  Should I contact Airbnb?  If so how would I do that?

@Karen2478 

I wouldn't. It sounds like an honest mistake. He shouldn't have done it, because clearly different people will have different reactions. But if you don't feel threatened and want to continue staying at the place, then I would move on.

@Karen2478  It sounds like an honest mistake, the host apologized, changed the code and it sounds like he is trying to make amends and making you comfortable. Why would you report this? 

Sometimes guests do something that disturbs hosts, sometimes it's the other way around. Unless it's something horrible, and there are apologies and it doesn't happen again, I would give the other party the benefit of the doubt and not concern myself with it further. I've had guests who overstepped some boundaries before- I talked with them, they apologized, and it didn't happen again. Why would I run to report them to Airbnb? 

People need to learn to cut each other some slack when someone makes an unintentional mistake.

Unfortunately he just did it again

@Karen2478 that sounds inexplicable and unacceptable. You can call Airbnb and ask them to rehome you:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Be aware that if/when you report feeling unsafe due to the host's behavior, Airbnb is likely to shut down his listing(s).