Host requesting passport number in greece

Rafal36
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Host requesting passport number in greece

Hello,

My partner and her friend are travelling to Greece later this year. The host has asked for all of our passport #'s so she can "report it to the government and pay the proper taxes." Can anyone pipe in on this? 

If you can provide a link to documentation that this is the law that would be very helpful. I have already read a few posts that say this is a common practice but that doesn't give me peace of mind. 

Thanks so much,

Raf

2 Replies 2
Elena4354
Level 10
Porto, Portugal

Hello @Rafal36, yes, this is common practice and required by law. As a host, I am required to collect personal information from guests (including ID details) and provide this information to the responsible authorities. 

For example, in Portugal, as part of the country’s regulations, all accommodations, including hotels and vacation rentals, are required to report guest stays to the SEF (law enforcement agency responsible for border control and the enforcement of immigration laws). To comply with Portuguese regulations we have to ask our guests to provide us their personal information (full name, date and place of birth, nationality, address, ID number and the country that issued the document). 

I can recommend you to ask your host to send you the law where you can see this information.

Kind regards. 

Elena. 

thanks so much!