Host tells me they need to cancel the booking, but they want me to cancel instead of them

Host tells me they need to cancel the booking, but they want me to cancel instead of them

I have a booking in 4 days, and this morning my host messaged me that she needs to cancel. Now, her cancellation policy is such that if I had cancelled yesterday before 3pm I would have received a 100% refund. But since she waited until today at 8:30am, if I cancel, I get only a 50% refund. (Obviously, I'm not going to cancel, since she as the host is the one cancelling the booking.)

Anyway, because I still need to stay somewhere in 4 days (traveling with pets, etc. so it's slightly complicated) I booked a VRBO that costs a bit more, but I have to have a place. 

I contacted Customer Service at AirBnB, and they told me definitely I should not be the one to cancel the booking, my host should. Now, I understand all this, however, my concern is what if she doesn't go ahead and cancel? If the booking still is on the books, and I don't show up in 4 days to check in... Am I still going to get charged? What options do I have here to protect my pocket book from paying for 2 bookings? Obviously I'm not going to show up to check in, because she's telling me she can't do it - but what if she doesn't actually cancel in time?

1 Reply 1
Malikah1
Level 1
Garner, NC

I think you should discuss it further with the host and express you concerns about the cancellation fee/policy. If they don't budge, you shouldn't either. I'd show up to check in and make tentative backup arrangements in case they cancel day of.