Host wants to cancel last minute

Zoe489
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Host wants to cancel last minute

The host messaged 2 days before checkin that he wants to cancel as the accommodation is no longer available. Im travelling with limited access to internet and unable to find anything at a similar price. Can Airbnb book me a new accommodation? I need one for 8 nights. Please help!

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Zoe489 you need to find a way to call Airbnb. Hopefully they will help you. This is just a community centre so its unlikely we can help but do tell us where you were travelling just in case 

I am travelling to Bangkok. The host is not letting me to stay at his accommodation but he’s not responding to Airbnb eithet and is unwilling to cancel the booking.

I am arriving in Thailand tomorrow and as things stand have no accommodation or money to book one. Airbnb support said they need to wait for the host to respond. I do not know what to do at this point.

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Zoe489 

As @Mike-And-Jane0 have rightly said you must call customer service to get them to help you find another place.  As of Jan 2024, this is what is written regarding hosts who cancel last minute:

If a Host cancels a reservation prior to check-in, their guest will automatically receive a full refund. If a Host cancels a reservation within 30 days prior to check-in we’ll also help the guest find a similar place, depending on availability at comparable pricing.

The host who has a double booking will also get fined for cancelling on you and their calendar will be blocked on Airbnb.

As hosts ourselves, we are really sorry that this has happened to you,

Joëlle

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Zoe489, welcome to our community,

Have you had the opportunity to read our Hosts' advice? >>Here<< is the link to contact the support team, which you might find useful.

Feel free to share your travel destination so that our Hosts can possibly provide further advice.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Zoe489 

Airbnb rebooking assistance can help. However, Airbnb can have limitations and their chance to find a new listing could be slim if market is really hot.

as an Airbnb guest and host myself, I’d suggest you do the below if you really want to keep the current reservation.

Reach out to the host and tell host that you really need this reservation and is willing to offer reasonable more money to keep this reservation. offer it with a sincere and reasonable amount . 

number 2, tell the host that you will be low maintenance and will ask very little questions. And you shall be 100% happy after the host’s help to keep the reservation and can reflect that help in the review. 

To be honest, host cancels for various reasons. many times it’s due to guest’s attitude, high maintenance nature and threats to safety and nuisance to neighborhood . try assure your host you are best behaved guest will largely assure host to keep the reservation. 

and money incentives too

And you will soon hear other saint hosts who are going to disagree what I said above, and you think about it. I’m just telling you the rock bottom way to keep the reservation. 

And it takes 7 business days for Airbnb refund to arrive your account, so if you truly don’t have extra money to rebook, you better keep the reservation. 

It doesn’t mean I support the host to cancel your reservation in any way. i’m just offering my approach as a good negotiator. It’s always a trade off.