Host wants to inflate price of booking already made

Answered!
Michael7839
Level 2
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Host wants to inflate price of booking already made

booked an apartment in May (trip septemebr) but host now insists on inflating the price. The host will not cancel the booking themselves and will not issue refund until I cancel the booking myself

1 Best Answer
Michael7839
Level 2

Thanks all,  someone called today from Airbnb after I contacted them directly.  I was advised not to cancel as the host was the party at fault . Airbnb contacted the host ,who was then made to cancel the booking themselves ,refund was returned within 1 hr.
Not sure what punishment the host has incurred but hope it’s a strong and effective one as I have had to book other accommodation at a higher price due to the lack of properties available at this moment. Host wanted to increase the price almost x2 the original booking price as they knew property was scarce for these dates.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Do not cancel if you still want to stay in the place, cancel if you don't. The host is being fooling trying that stunt.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael7839 I would contact Airbnb and ask them to confirm with the host that your booking is confirmed at the original price.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Michael7839 Obviously the host thinks they can get a higher price from someone else and they want you to pay their cancellation fee, rebook at a higher price or let them have someone else. They are doing the wrong thing. Call Airbnb and ask them to 'ask the host ' to explain what the situation is. Keep all this on messaging... H

Michael7839
Level 2

Thanks all,  someone called today from Airbnb after I contacted them directly.  I was advised not to cancel as the host was the party at fault . Airbnb contacted the host ,who was then made to cancel the booking themselves ,refund was returned within 1 hr.
Not sure what punishment the host has incurred but hope it’s a strong and effective one as I have had to book other accommodation at a higher price due to the lack of properties available at this moment. Host wanted to increase the price almost x2 the original booking price as they knew property was scarce for these dates.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Michael7839 
The host will be sorry.
If a host cancels, his calendar will remain blocked for the canceled period. He won't be able to rent it
I would ask Airbnb for compensation for the higher price you have to pay now, since it's not your fault
The host may also loose the super host status

The host will definitely loose the chance for Superhost for one year.

It is hard to equate any two listings, but if you are happy with the new one, the case came to a good conclusion.